blr hammer spring

Discussion in 'The Workbench: Builds And Modifications' started by OldMac, Sep 3, 2022.

1. OldMac

OldMac Copper BB

New to the forum and have what may be unusual question - have purchased blr 81 and am going to have trigger job done to reduce trigger pull - began to wonder if hammer spring could be replaced with heavier weight spring to shave milliseconds off hammer fall - any suggestions
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Hello sir, I do believe in my honest opinion that a professional trigger job would be the way to go. What is the intended use? Do you know the current trigger pull? If this is going to be used in hunting situations you may not want to lite of trigger pull for obvious reasons. Welcome to the forum. Please stop by the new member area and introduce yourself.
  3. OldMac

OldMac Copper BB

Do appreciate your response- am going to have professional gunsmith who is known for blr trigger work complete the trigger tune - at this time trigger pull is good 5 lbs - will have it down to 3.5 lbs - but, got to thinking and was wondering if a slightly stronger hammer spring would shave some milliseconds off the trigger fall time once trigger is pulled - now, I am anything but an engineer - just an old man who hunts deer from his side by side - but, I thought I would through out the question and get some thoughts - more than likely this is a “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” situation- again thanks for your response
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

If you have a good smith to do the trigger work, I would ask him that question. He should be able to point you in the correct direction. Personally I think 5 lbs is good for a hunting riffle. I can’t see any stronger hammer spring helping much. Now a bench shooter is a different story in my opinion.
  5. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Without a physics degree and keeping it super basic for every action there is reaction. If you increase the energy value of the spring it will certainly speed the projection of the hammer forward on release. However to beef a spring design up requires chances in design for diameter, wire size ,free coils or material choice,
    In saying this, the extra stored energy applies load to the other components in the mechanical group. Depending on the positions of sears and pin centre distances etc it can increase your trigger pull or wear on sear surfaces.
    Hope that sort of answers your question from technical curiosity.
    Definitely a job for a smith unless you know what your doing.
  6. OldMac

OldMac Copper BB

I have never been accused of knowing what I am doing but you are correct in that a good smith should be consulted- thanks for your response
  7. OldMac

OldMac Copper BB

Have always had triggers of around 3.5 lbs on my hunting guns but they can be dangerous
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Sounds like your well on the way to getting it sorted. I see you said you are new to the site. It is a good resource place here and the regulars who visit are pretty smart bunch with lot of varied experiences. Look forward to seeing you around more often.
  9. OldMac

OldMac Copper BB

Thank you, Sir