BAYONETS

Discussion in 'Knives' started by SHOOTER13, Jul 3, 2011.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

This thread is to show off your military bayonets...

So, Post a picture and tell us something about your bayonet...like it's history, what firearm it attaches to, how it came into your posession...etc !! :cool:
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

M1942 16" bayonet for my Springfield Armory M1 Garand ( circa 1944 )

[​IMG]

==================================================================

M1959 6H3 bayonet for my Yugoslavian AKMS[P] {tritium-illuminated night sights}(circa 1970)

[​IMG]

The blade forms a wire-cutting device when coupled with its scabbard. The polymer grip and upper part of the scabbard provide insulation from the metal blade and bottom part of the scabbard to safely cut electrified wire.

M7 bayonet for my M4 carbine ( circa 1980 )

[​IMG]

K-BAR modified by my deceased friends' Dad...a USMC Lance Cpl during WWII ( circa 1943 )

[​IMG]

3. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Global Moderator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

This Swedish Mauser Bayonet's been in the family for YEARS. It was made during WW2 for the 6.5mm M96, M38 and M42b Ljungman rifles. I don't have much info on it other than my Grandad brought it back from overseas. Sure is nice lookin though. It's in great shape and carries a lot of sentimental value...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's got the year 1939 marked into the leather on the back of the scabbard...

[​IMG]
  4. LAZY EYED SNIPER

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

That bayonet really matches the furniture on that MAK-90...looks good my friend !
  6. LAZY EYED SNIPER

Thank you Sir.
  7. M14sRock

M14sRock Copper BB

Most people who are familiar with WW2 fighting knives are familiar with the "K-Bar".

But few are aware that several companies made versions of the knife that came to be known as the "K-Bar". One of the first was PAL.

[​IMG]

PAL made several sizes and varieties of knives for the U.S. Military in WW2 and one of them was the venerable 37. On one side of the ricasso, they can be found marked "USN", "NAVY", "USMC", etc. On the other they will be marked "PAL", "RH Pal", "PAL37", "RH37", etc.

This one is USMC marked on one side, with PAL on the other. The USMC version is supposed to be rarer than the NAVY version, though neither is common. It is also marked with the previous owner's name. It is scratched onto both sides of the blade, and written lightly on the sheath. "George L. Cole".

[​IMG]

When I got this knife, the collector who sold it to me said that the tip had been broken off and reground at some point (due to the profile at the tip), but I have found several other USMC versions online with the exact same profile. So, yes, I got it for a very good price.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The sheath is in amazing condition. Stitching and rivets are all tight, the keeper is still supple and snaps well, and hanger is not cut or torn. But the handle is absolutely perfect. The leather washers are tight and smooth. No marks of any kind on them.

[​IMG]

This is one of my favorite WW2 fighting knives. It makes a nice set with some of my other K-Bar and Mk2 knives.
  8. M14sRock

M14sRock Copper BB

And here is a Case folding machete. These were issued to aircrews over CBI mostly. Solidly made. Usually, they are missing the sheet metal blade guard, but mine came with it. Yay me.

These are cool because they actually have a liner lock for the folder. I got this from a woman selling her dad's WW2 stuff. Crazy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. M14sRock

M14sRock Copper BB

USAF Survival knife and Korea era M4 (M1 Carbine) bayo.

The leather sheath for the M4 is a repro, but the M8 scabbard is an early M8 (as opposed to the later M8A1). It has no wire hook hanger and the belt hanger is shorter than the M8A1. These are rare and very hard to find. Got the M4 from a hippy at the swap meet. Very cheap.

[​IMG]
  10. M14sRock

M14sRock Copper BB

USN Mk1 knives.

Sweet little knives with a bazillion variants. Aluminum, bakelite, wood, and God only knows what other materials were used for their pommels. These are aluminum and bakelite. I have a wood one somewhere but could not find it today.

Some have fairly dainty, thin, blades and others have pretty beefy blades. These two are beefy. I have a thin one that was in shit state, so it is being redone soon. Some have leather sheaths, but most have the fiberglass as shown here. The Mk1 was my first love in Military blades.

[​IMG]
  11. M14sRock

M14sRock Copper BB

And now for some British love.

The 1907 pattern bayo is one of the most graceful and iconic ever made. And it was copied from the Japanese Arisaka bayonet from the Japanese Sino war.

I have quite a few of these, and think I gave one away in the "Thread of WOW!". Here are several.

Monkey pile of miscellaneous 1907s. Some very early and interesting variants here.

[​IMG]

Some vary nice and rare items. Condition is excellent. The teardrop shaped frog studs are WW1 issue and the round ones are post war. The middle frog is a WW1 canvas frog and most of these fell apart in the trenches. VERY rare. Blades were always issued in the white as shown, and developed a patina through use. These are pristine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see a rare bayo. The hole in the pommel was added for lubing and clearing debris during WW1. As bayos came in for service the holes were added. This one (I have two) escaped.

[​IMG]

Here are some short "jungle bayos". The shorter blade was made for ease of use hunting the Japanese in the jungle. Late war issue (WW2).

[​IMG]

Close up of two handle types. The top (Square) style was cheaper and easier to make. The other, rounded, style are WAY more comfy.

[​IMG]

Here are two Lee Metford bayos from the Boer war (pre-WW1) era. These also worked on the later Enfields and were issued for WW1 in huge numbers early on. This frog is a repro, though I have a nice original somewhere. These are awesome and make killer daggers.

[​IMG]
  12. M14sRock

M14sRock Copper BB

Arisaka love.

The Japanese were the only nation to sharpen their bayonets prior to issue. The Arisaka sword bayonet was the one that the Brits copied for their 1907 and the U.S. copied for the 1905. All of the long, sword style bayos were designed after the Arisaka.

I have a few, but these two have original leather frogs which are rare as hens teeth. Most of the Japanese web gear did not survive the war. They aroused so much hatred in the allied troops, and generally fought to the last man, so their gear was simply buried in the jungle. Bayonets were treasured, but usually just cut off the dead body.

One of these frogs is freaking MINT. The other is very fragile, but intact. Repros can be had for cheap.

This bayo and frog are pristine. The white stuff is a residue that wipes off the leather.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one is much rougher, but I'm still glad to have it.
    [​IMG]

Later in the war they became much rougher and the hooked quillion was done away with (like the Brits did in 1915).
  13. M14sRock

M14sRock Copper BB

Some German, German influenced, or other blades from other Axis allies.

1898 Imperial Germany long bayonet. 442 shown for scale
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1941 Spanish Bolo bayonet (left) and Italian Terni bayonet for the Carcano. These are pretty rare and the scabbards are rarer.
    [​IMG]

Argentine 1909 Mauser bayonet and WW2 German K98 bayo. The original K98 frog is rough, but rare.
    [​IMG]

German WW1 1905 "Butcher bayonets". One without the dreaded sawback, and one that has had the teeth removed. German soldiers captured with saw teeth bayonets were executed on the spot, so the teeth are often ground off. The teeth were issued to "Pioneers" which were engineers in the German army. Used to cut down trees.
    [​IMG]

A "minty" blued blade Police issued 1905 Butcher shown with a white blade military issue. This blued blade is the nicest I have ever seen.
    [​IMG]

Two nice Police issue blued blade 1905s.
    [​IMG]

Parade bayo from WW2. Typically Police, or politicians carried these.
    [​IMG]

Argentine 1909 short sword. These are my favorite military blades and I have a few of them. This one is minty. Heft one and you will know why I love them so much.
    [​IMG]

"Ersatz" Mauser bayo from WW1. This one is pretty well made.
    [​IMG]
  14. freedom

freedom .22LR

M14sRock, nice assortment of bayonets and knives. I too have a very diverse collection of bayonets, an assortment of over 100. WW1 and WW2 and most countries. Now it is very hard to find a bayonet that I don't already have.
  15. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

16. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest