Auto-5 Light Twenty Belgium w/3" Chamber

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ken Lewis, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Ken Lewis

Ken Lewis .22LR

I'm new here. Thanks for having me. I'm trying to help an estate with the sale of a few firearms, including a Browning Belgian Auto-5 Light Twenty. Based on the SN, it's a 1975 manufacture. It is new and unfired, in the factory box with all the paperwork. A question has arisen in that the box label and receiver are marked "Light Twenty" but the barrel has a 3" chamber. The owners tell me that the barrel and receiver were purchased together in the factory box and have never been out of the box. The barrel and receiver seem to be a mismatch. I was told by one person that 3" chamber barrels should only be used with an Auto-5 Magnum receiver. I assume this is because the Light Twenty receiver is not rated for 'magnum' loads.

My question is this: Can 2.75" shells be safely fired in this barrel and will ejection and feeding be unaffected? I did search to see if this question had been posed but was unsuccessful. Maybe I didn't go back far enough. I will certainly appreciate any help. Thanks.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

There were 3 twenties made to my knowledge. The one is a super light which has been discussed in another thread. Then there is the other 20’s. You have the light and mag. The only difference was the length of chamber, and the word “ light” on the side of receiver. You can shoot 2 3/4 in the 3” chamber. Rudolph31 would be the expert on the differences and can correct me if wrong. He will be along shortly.
    Will it cycle 7/8 target loads, some say yes and some say no. Mine cycles them fine, but it’s set up correctly, maintained and lubed properly. So if you do that it should have no issues.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  3. Ken Lewis

Ken Lewis .22LR

I was hoping that would be the response. It's just too nice a shotgun to go unused. Thanks for sharing your experience.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

There are many more differences between a Light Twenty and a Magnum Twenty. To get it to cycle the longer shell the ejection port must be larger, and the barrel stroke changed by the length of the forearm groove. To go from 65mm to 70mm in the 16 gauge they also introduced the sliding ejector. The Light Twenty already had one of those, so they must be further modifications to go from 70 to 75. Not having one, I don’t know what they are.

So the question becomes, will this barrel work in this receiver. I doubt it, but I would hand cycle some dummy shells through it to see. By that I mean close the bolt, load the magazine, and cycle the gun by pulling the barrel back and releasing.
  5. Ken Lewis

Ken Lewis .22LR

Thank you. As you indicate, I doubt if 3" shells would cycle in this receiver as the ejection port is not wide enough. The shotgun would be relegated to 2¾" shells, which I hope would allow safe operation including cycling. I'll certainly recommend to the owners that they cycle some rounds as you suggest. I appreciate your reply.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

You’re welcome. I doubt that the gun will even cycle the 2 3/4” shells. There may be a difference in the location of the barrel ring, for example.

A check of the MGW website shows that the Magnum barrels have been discontinued. I read that as out of stock as I seriously doubt they’re making any barrels any more. But since you have a rare commodity, either they or Art’s may swap you even.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/293231IC

https://artsgunshop.com/
  7. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Can you post some pictures of the barrel extension etc. In my opinion I think it can be made to cycle 2 3/4 loads.
  8. Ken Lewis

Ken Lewis .22LR

Thank you.
  9. Ken Lewis

Ken Lewis .22LR

Attached are 7 pictures. Thanks.
  10. Ken Lewis

Ken Lewis .22LR

I'm getting an error message that I do not have permission to perform this action (uploading a file).
  11. Ranger6

sent you a PM
  12. Ken Lewis

Ken Lewis .22LR

Replied. Thank you.
  13. Ranger6

Following posted for member Mr. Lewis:
    [​IMG]
  14. Ranger6

15. Ranger6

16. Ranger6

17. Ranger6

18. Ranger6

19. Ranger6

20. Ranger6

I think it would work with 2 3/4 shells, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.