Auto 5 Classic Rust Blue Restoration

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Madman, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Madman

Madman .22LR

Hello,

I am searching for suggestions on someone to re-blue my older Browning Auto 5 from 1929. From what I have l seen and learned is that the slow rust blue finish is very different than the hot blue finish. I am hoping to keep this as close to original as I can. Any suggestions or experiences with having the finish re-blued on earlier production year Auto 5's?

Thanks
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Lots of recommendations. Art's gun shop- at last check they don't do traditional rust blue, but something close.
    Cole- I don't have his contact in front of me, but Win7stw will have it, he will be on shortly.
    Glenrock- They are supposed to be good, but I haven't seen their work in person.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’ve heard good things about Glenrock Blue but have never used them. I will be sending my 1910 straight stock 16 to them soon

I will be getting one back from Cole Haugh this week and will post pictures

If you want to spend the coin you could always have Turnbull do it
  4. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

The steel / alloy composition used in that 29 vintage Auto 5 is perfectly suited and should take to a rust blue process nicely if done correctly with a bit of care and attention.
    Jta5er may chime in and add more. He is pretty knowledgeable on the subject.
  5. Madman

Madman .22LR

Thank you for the information. I have tried the slow rust blue on a couple of other firearms and it did turn out very good. It just took a lot more time than I thought. I look forward to any photos of before and after.
  6. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Good luck with your project. You have obviously played a bit already. It's like spray painting the job is only as good as the preparation, care and attention each step of the process. Yes it is time consuming . You will have seen it all talked about other threads here few times.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

8. Madman

Madman .22LR

Thanks for all of the great suggestions and photos. It is clear there are a lot of class acts out there that know their trade well. I will start calling around this week to get the process started.
    Ranger6 likes this.