Any Double Auto owners out there?

Discussion in 'Browning Double Auto' started by Dallas_CMT, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Hey Auzzie,
    Today was Browning day for me at the range. Took the Twentyweight and Auto-5. Next week I'll have one of the Remmys and the Twelvette (I'm limited to only two with the bike). When I showed up today there were a couple guys wearing outfits that had Benelli and other advertising on them. They obviously have sponsors. Needless to say I felt a little intimidated shooting alongside those two. But they were real nice and said they were just getting in some practice so it was no big shakes.
    I also belong to Shotgun World and spend time there but I'll check out the Auto-5 section here. And I promise to post some pics along with a range report when I get the Twelvette. Take care.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95
    KyBoB likes this.
  2. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hi Crossfire the Sporting Clay Nationals are on in San Antonio TX for next four or five days so they may have been headed that way.
    Crossfire Hurricane likes this.
  3. Hey Brad, these are my bevy of Brownings. The Auto-5 from 1953, DA Twelvette (middle, 1960?) and DA Twentyweight (right, 1960?). I'm taking my Sportsman 48 (not pictured cuz this is a Browning web site) and Twelvette to the range tomorrow. Both have vented Poly-Chokes so it'll be interesting to see how they do.
    upload_2022-11-4_22-34-23.jpeg

4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Pretty nice collection. You can post that 48 too! It doesn’t have to be a browning,
    Crossfire Hurricane likes this.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’m curious to know how you do with your Poly-Choke equipped DA vs. the other. I couldn’t hit anything with mine until I bought a Poly Choked barrel. Now it’s my go-to gun for Skeet. I’m still looking for a magazine extension for it, though…
    Auzzie likes this.
  6. Both Poly-Chokes are vented with 6 settings each ranging from X-FULL to SLUG. I've had more range time in with the Sportsman 48 and I usually set it IC for skeet and either IM or Full for trap. I just got the Twelvette so I need to experiment a little with that one.

7. The 1925-edition 12 ga. Remington Model 11 has the pre-cross bolt safety. Prior to 1927/28 it was called the "sliding safety." Some folks have an issue with it due to where it sits inside the trigger guard. Just shooting clays with it is no problem (I don't hunt). Slide the safety toward the trigger for "safe" and forward for "fire." Easy-peasy. Aside from a newer butt stock it's all original including the barrel which matches the receiver as far as numbers go.

The 12 ga. Sportsman 48 has a barrel date code of Oct. '48 and is also original to the receiver (I got lucky on both of these in that respect.) Not sure how old the Poly-Choke is. I've had some pretty good range time in with these two.

upload_2022-11-5_14-1-43.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    KyBoB and Ranger6 like this.
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Nice collection in the stable there Crossfire. I like the neat poly installation on the rib barrel Twelvette. You see some pretty rough adaptations and match ups out there. Interesting you have the image of the 48 posted alongside there. The DA and it are very similar lines in areas apart from obvious mag tube and forend.
  9. Thanx, Auzzie. No idea who installed the Poly on the Twelvette but they did do a nice job. This Wednesday is range day again so I might take both DAs or maybe the Twelvette and the 48. (Wish I could take more but my limit is two with the bike.) I haven't shot the Twelvette that much yet but I think the Twentyweight, at least for right now, is my favorite. BTW, if you ever make it to the States gimme a holler we can spend some solid range time at the club. :)

10. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hopefully take you up on that again one day.
    I have shot plenty clays and experienced bit of duck hunting your neck of woods before in Georgia ,Texas and up Connecticut way years back and want to take my kid across for a Dad / Son shooting roadtrip.
    Just waiting on that lotto win
  11. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

The way your going you need a trailer for that bike. Be curious to hear how you go with it he twelvette. It looks a nice setup and retro period cool as well. Also curious to know if it is lighter on the shoulder than the twenty.
  12. I haven't really given the Twelvette a good test run, so I really can't compare the two quite yet. As of now the Twentyweight is still my fave. Over the weekend I was tinkering with the two DAs and discovered that the forends and butt stocks interchange on each gun but the barrels, however, are a different story. What's odd to me is that the Twentyweight barrel fits the Twelvette, but the Twelvette barrel won't go on the Twentyweight. It's a close fit, but no dice.
    The place where I got the Twentyweight from (Art's Gun Shop) is a well-known smith and restoration shop in Missouri. I'm gonna call and ask them why the one barrel fits both receivers but the other barrel won't. I'll bet there's prolly a simple explanation. More on that later.

13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

When I bought my Poly Choked barrel, it wouldn’t fit either. I brought it to Art and three file strokes later it fit perfectly.

Incidentally, the reason I can hit better with the Poly barrel is the extra weight at the end smooths my swing. I don’t seem to have that problem with other guns, but the DA just handles better for me now. That’s why I wanted to know how well it worked for you.
    Auzzie likes this.
  14. Thanx for your reply. I talked to Brad at Art's and he basically said the same thing about filing a little off the Twelvette barrel to make it fit. He also said that the barrels were made to fit the receivers and apparently the Twelvette barrel has a skosh more material than the Twentyweight barrel. I'm guessing that's part of the reason why the Twentyweight weighs less, among other factors. I don't know if I'm gonna mess with it and risk screwing something up, but I do have a buddy who's a smith so I'll call him and get his take on it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  15. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Crossfire if your into checking and comparing things at the moment take look at fit of forend in particular the pin fit through the aluminium nut and escutcheons in the wood. As you know there is bit of fiddling to get the latching right for barrel and to all click in place. If it came from Arts you would assume they look at this as standard check anyway.

Have seen one where the hole in aluminium nut gets slightly stretched oval by the steel pin as consequence if gun gets shot for a while without forend being adjusted for a proper fit.
    What you get is barrel locks up nice but you get slight intermittent rotary movement in the forend when you mount the gun .Very annoying and destructive over time and recoil.

You don’t want to crack your forend wood either.
  16. I'm not gonna mess around with switching butt stocks or forends. I'm not even gonna have anyone put a file on the Twelvette barrel just to make it fit in the Twentyweight receiver. I was just checking things out to see what worx. This has been a learning experience for me so I'm gonna leave well enuf alone and enjoy the two guns just as they are.

17. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

No worries just a tip it's something worth keeping an eye on both your guns over time if you shoot them regular and put a few rounds up them.
    I had to fix one for a buddy that had done fair bit of work was how I came across the issue and to sort properly . Ended up having to make a new nut from scratch and was lot of fiddling around
  18. Hey Auzzie,
    You mentioned that the Poly-Choke install on the Twelvette was well done. I have read that some of them were factory installs. If

that's true maybe it did come from the factory that way but I guess there's no way to tell for sure.

Ranger6 likes this.
  19. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hi Crossfire
    I have read same thing various places but have no idea on how you would tell unless you knew exactly what they did and had seen one.
    Guy on A5 page has one from memory in a post image that looks to be done exactly how yours is with the rib flush and very neat line along the sight plane .
    There are some let's say average adaptations out there where rib meets barrel adaptor that look pretty crap.
  20. Hi Auzzie,
    I have seen a few of these Poly installs and some look better than others. The one on this Twelvette looks really good but I guess there's no way to be certain at this point if it came from the factory that way or not. I guess it's not really that important anyway.