Adding Magazine Extension to my 1947-1948 Belgian 12 Gauge A5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by First_A5, Feb 20, 2022.

1. First_A5

First_A5 Copper BB

I'm looking for a magazine extension tube for my 1947-1948 4+1 12 gauge Browning A5, but can't find one. Ideally, I'd like its total capacity to be 10+1, but almost anything more than 4+1 would be good.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello and welcome!

I got my extension from Nordic Components, but I’m not sure they still offer one for the Auto-5. The site says to call them if your shotgun isn’t listed.

https://nordiccomp.com/configure-mxt-extension-kit/

By the way, since you can’t clamp the magazine to the barrel of an Auto-5, they recommended not to increase capacity by more than 4 shells. I opted for a 3 shot extension.
    [​IMG]
    murphranch likes this.
  3. Rockher_man

Rockher_man Copper BB

You have an "Auto-5" NOT an A5.
    win7stw likes this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I agree, now. But the gun was commonly called the A5 long before the New A5 showed up. So to reduce the chances of confusion, I no longer shorten the name. But there are plenty of guys who have owned these things since before I was born, so I’m not going to try correcting them.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  5. Rockher_man

Rockher_man Copper BB

My 1941 Browning is an Auto-5.

Like all the rest.

A5 is the new Millenial P.O.S.
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

How dare you speak those words( A5). I agree a P.O.S. I tried when they first come out to put in my head that I could actually have one, never happened.
  7. Eric Bachman

Eric Bachman Copper BB

I have a 1951 Auto 5 and am interested in adding a +3. I contacted Art Isaacson but didn't get much of an answer other than he wasn't familiar with Nordic systems. I'm sure he would have like to say "why in the world would you consider doing such a thing?" and I would agree. I just have a habit of trying new things.
    Has anyone found new options? eBay offers them through "CutEmDown Waterfowl" for $99.
    Thoughts?
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I got mine to shoot bowling pins. Reloading really adds to your time. But it would be great for home defense also.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
  9. Eric Bachman

Eric Bachman Copper BB

I had thought about it for home defense once I’m sure it’s tuned and reliable with 00 buck. For now I just want to get back into shooting a shotgun, much of my time has been with pistols and revolvers. I enjoy a challenge but appreciate extra capacity
  10. Eric Bachman

Eric Bachman Copper BB

I spoke with a rep from Nordic who was nice enough to return my query. Seems the Remington magazine cap fits some Auto 5 magazine tubes depending on year. If the cap from a 870/1100/11-87 does not fit my tube, he recommends the Browning BPS cap/magazine extension.
    Good to know...
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

12. Eric Bachman

Eric Bachman Copper BB

Thanks, that's what I've heard though, additional information is always good.
  13. Occasionally on GunsInternational , ebay, gunbroker, the like... someone lists an original Choate tube for the Auto 5. I found 2 in the box from an internet search at a mom & pop shop, had them new in the box. Choate tubes in my opinion are high quality, I have them on an array of shotguns
    Fare Warning however.... my experience over the years I've purchased several vintage Choate mag tubes in the box, for the Auto 5, (not directly from Choate) the threads were incorrect and didnt fit even though factory sealed in original box and marked properly, I can only guess poor quality control or mistakes made at their facility. , possibly tampering... In the same way, I have had many in the same marked & sealed boxes fit fine, both Belgian and Japanese guns.
    Choate also listed their tubes for the vintage Auto 5 for Belgian and Japanese separately... I take that to mean they possibly have somewhat different threads... Maybe one of the many Auto 5 Guru's here can chime in on that(?) ... But I have found the Choate tubes I have purchased for Belgian Auto 5 also fit the Japanese Auto 5's.
    I still will purchase when I find them, however, I now buy when the seller can actually confirm they will fit by screwing it on a Auto 5 tube before purchase.
    The Choate Folks are a good outfit, they currently do not list tubes for vintage Auto 5 and I believe I bought their last two last year, but they might find some in old containers from time to time. Call them up, they may arrange a tube build or two for you. Worth a call.
    Respectfully, JB