3" Magnum Question

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Crossfire Hurricane, Jan 9, 2023.

1. A buddy of mine has a 3" Magnum Auto-5. He asked me if the gun could properly fire standard 2 3/4" shells. I told him that I wasn't sure but would throw it out to the Browning experts here. Any opinions? Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Depending on the load it may or may not cycle the gun. It is safe to shoot 2 3/4 in 3”. It just may be a single shot. He can put a light 12 spring and rings in there and it will cycle all day. I would try the 2 3/4 shells and see what it does. You can manipulate the rings will a little extra oil, but I personally don’t like doing that.
    Tell your buddy we like new members too. Friends of members get to go to the front of the class room.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Remember the friction rings/ spring is what makes this thing cycle. Less friction equals more felt recoil. Recently shot one at the range and it kicked like a mule, pulled it apart and it had no friction ring at all.
    KyBoB likes this.
  4. Thanx, I'll pass this along. My Auto-5 is a 12 ga. 2 3/4", set for lite loads, and shoots really well. It's a 1953 edition and the previous owner took very good care of it, which I certainly appreciate. After making him promise to give me a range report when he tries it out, I'll get back to you on the results. Thanx again for your help.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95
  5. Pamlico

Pamlico .22LR

I have 1958 Auto-5 Magnum that will shoot light loads. It took lots trial and error to get it to cycle. Oiling the magazine tube and trying different combinations of the friction rings. Two boxes of shells and later it started cycling loads. Merton
    Crossfire Hurricane likes this.