1977 Baerten signed. .28 ga., P2

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by Strat1117, Jun 25, 2024.

1. Strat1117

Strat1117 Copper BB

Hi all -

My father passed away in December 22 at the ripe old age of 89. He left behind a beautiful 1977 Superposed, which hung in a case on the wall of his den for the last 25-30 years. I am virtually certain he never used it, although I have no wayof knowing whether it had ever been used by the first owner. It is a presentation level 2 gun, .28 ga., deeply engraved and signed by Baerten. All specifics are listed on the original hangtag from when he purchased it at Griffin & Howe in Manhattan in 1995 (I also have the original receipt). I have attached several photos, and I am hoping that some of you Superposed experts wil be able to tell me about the relative rarity and anything I should know about this piece and give me some idea of it's value, in order to help me decide whether I should keep it or sell it to someone who might appreciate it more than I will - maybe even use it (which I likely wouldn't).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The white mark on the stock is just a reflection, however the three dots on the underside are little dings. Barrell had some finger prints, which were easily removed with the Hobbes silicone cloth (not my father's, something I use in maintainence and restoration of old carbon steel putter heads).

In looking at the photos, I probably should have turned some of them upside down, but rest assured, it's just the angle from which I photographed, the gun is not hanging up in the air in the case where it could fall out, it is resting comfortably flat on the sofa cushion.

Thank you in advance for reading my post. Any and all input is welcome and, if you don't have anything to add, I hope that you enjoy the photos. If there is any part of the gun which you would like to see, or see closer up or in more detail, I'm happy to add more photos, just let me know.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Welcome sir, thanks for joining. The expert on superposed checks in here every so often, so give him time. He knows more about them than anyone else I have come across. Very beautiful shotgun. I would never sell that personally. It should stay in the family. It was a gift from your father that you will regret selling at some point. You can always pass it along to son, grandson or whoever you see fit.
    Strat1117 and Abbeville like this.
  3. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

At a glance That's a beautiful looking example in great condition with some spectacular nice figured wood. Your Dad had good taste.
    As Ranger said there is a guy who visits here that knows more than all of us put together on guns like your there.
    He will undoubtedly have some answers.
    Strat1117 likes this.