1926 16G A5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Trevorh622, Jun 3, 2024.

1. Trevorh622

Trevorh622 Copper BB

I have a 1926 A5 16G that I am looking to try to get a value on. Ranger6 helped to verify it is a 1926 so I appreciate the help there. In my opinion it is in great shape with a few scratches on the stock. To my knowledge it has the original bluing and no work has been done on the gun. It has a 26" and a 28" barrel with matching serial numbers. There is no fancy engraving on the receiver and is what I would call a basic gun. Serial 44607. If it matters, location is NC. Hopefully the link will work so pictures can be seen.

If anyone has any information on a possible value I'd certainly appreciate it.

https://imgur.com/a/1926-browning-16g-a5-njfNzqg

[​IMG]
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

It appears to have been opened up to shoot 2-3/4” shells. With the conversion and the stock repair I personally wouldn’t pay more than $3-400 for it
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Can we see some pictures of the inside of the forearm? Need some measurements of that ejection port to see if it has been opened up.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2024
  4. Trevorh622

Trevorh622 Copper BB

Ranger6, I'll get some more pictures of it this afternoon to help the judgment.

Win7stw, Just curious what makes you believe that it has been opened to shoot 2 3/4? I personally do not know but I will get measurements to find out. I was just curious to know what in the picture you were looking at?
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, me neither. The collector value is gone. But as a shooter, it’s probably worth $800 or more to somebody. I’d rather have it than one of those new A5’s that cost well over $1000.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

[​IMG]
    The barrel extension is protruding too far forward. The silver area in front of the receiver is what I was looking at. Either the forearm is hammered out from worn springs or friction rings installed wrong or some wood has been removed for the 2-3/4” conversion
    Trevorh622 likes this.
  7. Trevorh622

Trevorh622 Copper BB

Ok guys, I have gathered some more pictures and hopefully it is what y'all want to help identify if it was modified to 2 3/4". Please let me know and if you think the value is still around $300-500.

Also note originally the friction ring was turned over the wrong way. That has since been corrected and the pictures in this link are with it in the correct orientation.

https://imgur.com/a/QQKHAFS
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Take the barrel of and look at the extractor. Does it slide or is it fixed?[​IMG]
  9. Trevorh622

Trevorh622 Copper BB

10. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I don't remember the width of the metal in front of bolt handle but looks normal to me without measuring it. It looks like the bolt handle is contacting the front of the ejection port which tells me that barrel needs to come back, and the forearm is the problem. I also don't see the barrel extension in the ejection port. I have seen both extractors on non-modified guns. Not sure if that was a factory thing or the fixed extractor got replaced by some gunsmith, however both work with either 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 shells. I am wondering if a new or different forearm would bring that barrel back to where it needs to be, spacer in there just might do the trick also. Some where I have the measurements of the forearm, but at work at the moment. Do you have the steel ring to set that thing up for heavy loads? I always start on heavy setting. Do that baby a solid and replace all the springs.
    win7stw likes this.
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Most times a sliding extractor indicates it’s been altered to 2-3/4”. I agree with Ranger that the forearm may just need a spacer to shim the barrel back
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Find someone with 3D printer and have them make some of these for you

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ranger6 likes this.