1921 Grade 1

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Bill Idaho, Dec 15, 2022.

1. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Darned if a 1921 grade 1 followed me out to the pickup today. I was at a nearby pawn shop and there it was.
    Not perfect, I hope I look as good as this A5 when I'm 101 years old! Bluing is about 75%, wood has been refinished sometime, and there is the starting of a crack on the receiver, on the top rear corner of the ejection port. Not even 1/16" long.
    Upon tear-down, I noticed the recoil spring was round, and still measured 8 3/8" long. (possibly a replacement?) One oddity was a red fiber spacer (unknown exact material) cut into the shape of a washer, and was in between the front of the barrel lug and the wood. Without it the barrel extended out past the front of the receiver by about the same thickness a the spacer. The forearm looks really good, however not original. Butt stock looks really good, EXCEPT for someone drilling a hole for a modern day QD mount.
    This won't be a shooter, so I'm good with its condition. And the price was well within tolerance.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Nice find. How about some pictures? It’s not a shooter?
  3. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I have zero luck posting pictures. I wouldn't say it not a shooter, I would say however, it has probably served its time well, and made St. John proud, and out of respect, will be out out to pasture among friends.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

understand. well, if you want me to post pics for you, just send to me. if you don't have my info, send me a PM.