New Guy..

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by DaveM, Oct 25, 2023.

1. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

I should say that my experience with serial numbers stamps in butt stocks is limited to Y-tang guns. I've only owned 1 post-'66 gun that was not a checkered butt. An S70 Diana trap that had the serial number in the inlet and butt. I suspect it was re-stocked, though.

So, I don't know for certain what standard factory procedure was past 1966. Maybe someone with more experience will offer some factual information.
  2. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Your all very lucky to get your mitts on that book. None to many came this far South and been looking hard for years.
    With EX rate and shipping would be double down plus more on a paid value ,making a very expensive proposition.
  3. DaveM

DaveM .22LR

I am afraid they are. It is very difficult to find a copy under 300 dollars and some signed first edition copies I see are going upwards of $800. It is something that baffles me. I do have a question for you guys though. What is your opinion on the RKST guns? With them being produced 66 into 1971 not all of them have the salt issues of that time. For those that have no issues are all original there still seems to be some hesitance on my part. As soon as I see the RKST it is off my list. Good practice or a per gun basis?
  4. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Per individual - per gun.
  5. DaveM

DaveM .22LR

Good evening and Happy Holidays. I had a dealer reach out a few days ago with a mostly Colt collection going up for sale but there were 4 Superposed on the list he sent me.
    They are sorry to say out of my pocketbook range but decided to let all know they are out there if anyone is interested in contacting him.
    Serial#56024S7 12Ga Diana SK/SK 30" signed F.Marechal
    Serial#89637 12GA Pointer Grade 32"
    Serial#23372S70 12GA Signed Midas Grade 28" F/M
    Serial#57390S9 12GA Pigeon Grade 28" That is how he has them on the list. His contact email. rich@mrgunzfirearms.com

Maybe made some ones Christmas.
  6. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Thanks. 'Not particularly interested in any of these (other than correct sn and details records) but it's nice to know what or where these serial #'s (guns) are.

Observations: (according to my own records)

The #56024 S7 Diana is actually a 28" sk/sk gun.

57390 is not a 'viable' serialization range for an 'S9' suffix.

Perhaps he would appreciate your help in pointing-out these observations - and he might even offer a clarification.

While you're at it (and if you don't mind):

Pointer 89637 - is it signed by A.Marechal, R.Dewil, or someone else? There were several Pointer 32" guns in this sn range.

Midas 23372 S70 - is it signed by L.Bleus? Again, several other L.Bleus-signed Midas Grades in this range.

Cheers!
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
  7. DaveM

DaveM .22LR

upload_2023-12-19_20-39-8.png
    Here is the info I was presented with. I will reach out and will update.
  8. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

I can appreciate the 'out of the pocketbook range' comment. For a while, it seemed like I'd never justify 'upping' the spending range or limit I was comfortable with. It just takes the right gun(s) to get to the next comfort level. There are a couple of available FN guns I'd love to have - but neither really strike a passionate nerve as 'special' and they both have minor modifications. I don't need any more 'projects' right now - especially those on which I have to depend on others to return 'details' to correct factory standards.

Just prepare for the opportunity when a special gun comes along and strikes a passionate nerve, leaving no doubt it was made for you. There are too many wrong reasons to buy a gun - be patient and decide what YOU like, not what you perceive as appealing to the masses.

I personally don't care for the Diana Grade and there are only a handful of Midas Grades that are exceptional examples of engraving. Everything else is just a 'namesake'. They are NOT all alike.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  9. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Are you able to provide any updates on the details of the list of guns provided above?
  10. DaveM

DaveM .22LR

I am sorry no. I have reached out a few times to the email address about the those and a few other SAA Colts that where on the listing. No reply.
    Will let you know if I do.
    Anatidae likes this.