Picked up my third Auto-5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by utbrowningman, Nov 14, 2023.

1. I have two Miroku Light Twelves and just picked up a 1953 12 "*" over the weekend. I married into an Auto-5 family (several between various family members) but did not own one so that was remedied quickly with my first. Picked up one on GB several years ag0 for my oldest son and just picked up another for my youngest son. Local firearms sales site had one listed which I saw 36 hours after it was first listed and thought that no way it was not sold, thinking it just had not been marked sold. Looked the next day and it was still listed. Texted the owner and we met up the next day and I walked home with my first Belgian which is great condition. Said he had a few people call but that was it. I assumed that for the price (don't know if I can state here) it would have been snapped up quickly. The bolt was stiff to pull back and would not eject low velocity rounds once fired and the rings were set correctly. Cleaned it up best I could without tearing down which is something I'd leave up to my gunsmith. Cycled all rounds the next day. Late 1953 serial number and is pre-speed load, which was introduced soon after.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

How about some pictures? Yes, you can post the price on here. If it's a steal of a deal then we can only be mad at you, that we didn't get it first. Tearing one completely down is easy once you have done a time or two and have the correct screwdrivers.
    Auzzie, Rudolph31 and utbrowningman like this.
  3. I'll have to get set up on Imgur to post pictures. I paid $750 and thought it was a great price considering the nice condition. He was asking for $750 I will not haggle if I think the price is fair. Came with a leather Browning soft case, as well.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Very nice, welcome to the family. Excellent deal.
    utbrowningman likes this.
  5. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

That’s a nice looking piece. You have done well there and really good condition. No cave man has got at the screws before you or knocked it about, Right place at right time.
  6. Looks like a very nice find. Good buy. Does it have the speed loader?
  7. No. At the tail end of the non-speed load, which I understand came out in late 1953 or early 1954. The serial on this is late 1953.
  8. Just missed it. Very cool auto 5.
  9. You did well ! Nice looking Auto 5. By chance do you have any spare japanese barrels about you might part with? Thanks JB
  10. I do not. Would like one to use on the 1953 so I can change out chokes. I do have Miroku barrels on the 1977 and 1979 so worst case, I have that option if I need to swap.
  11. Biz

Biz 20g

Congratulations, it seems to be in good condition. I don’t know if the color rendering of my pad is good but the stock color is very interesting. Collecting the auto-5 is very addictive, I stop counting after 30 and stop mentioning to my wife after 20.
  12. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Yeah, I'm now up past 35........

In retrospect, I tell myself for decades I wasted far more money on far stupider things. I have also learned it is way easier to simply get rid of the wife.
    Auzzie, utbrowningman and Ranger6 like this.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

My wife, shortly after I bought my first shotgun and it broke:

You shoot that gun more than any other. You should have two of those!”

She’s a keeper.
    Luca Brasi, Biz, Auzzie and 2 others like this.