1924 Browning Type??

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Apr 29, 2022.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Hard to beat a Wilson mag. That looks excellent
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, the gun shoots as good as it looks. Unfortunately, it’s owner didn’t. I did get an upset win at Crazy by hitting “Four from The Chair”, however.
    KyBoB likes this.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I saw a Final Tribute forearm for sale on Gunbroker last week, and it arrived today. It’s not an exact match for the butt stock, but it’s closer than what it came with.
    [​IMG]
    win7stw likes this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Unfortunately, I had to remove the recoil spring to take the picture above. The forearm needs fitting. I’m thinking of sandpaper on a dowel.
  5. Biz

Biz 20g

Is it the original spring? The diameter of my Belgium forearm seems to be 1 5/16".
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

No, but it’s an OEM spring. But it’s the barrel ring that’s rubbing in the channel. Without the spring, I could kinda get the forearm on well enough to take a picture.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

8. Biz

Biz 20g

Nice color match. Do you believe the diameter of the Japanese made forearm slightly smaller or the forearm, after 25 years in storage, is a bit distorted?
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I don’t really know, Biz. My other replacement forearm was a drop-in fit. Maybe there was something different about the Final Tribute shotguns.
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Still mad at myself for not buying that gun. I am glad that it went to you though
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’m guessing you passed because it’s not a 16. Also, it looked really bad in the pictures. Who knew it would clean up so easily?

But thank you again for the heads up!
  12. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

That is a great addition to this gun. It now will look spectacular.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Thank you! An hour of sanding and it fits. Hand cycling is no longer leaving scuff marks in the wood, so hopefully it won’t crack the first time I fire it.
  14. Biz

Biz 20g

May be you should have a shooting forearm and the new one for the show
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I actually thought of that. But until I get around to repairing the two broken ones I have, I kinda need this one.
  16. Biz

Biz 20g

Don’t you guys have duct tape in the US.
    Rudolph31 and win7stw like this.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yes we have poverty chrome
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, no duct tape needed.

I went early to our Wednesday night shoot. Two other guys were there early so we did a practice round. The gun shot great and the forearm didn’t crack. After Station 1 I opened it up and there were no more scuff marks in the channel either. I’m calling it a success.

I also shot a rare-for-me 25 with it. I decided to quit while I was ahead and switched to my 1965 Light Twelve. I should shoot that better since the Type X has such a short, whippy barrel. Well, I shot a 21. About average for me, but 4 misses so soon after no misses made me switch back. With 6 guys there, I tied for first with a 23.
    win7stw likes this.
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Did your squad shoot your hat?
  20. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

No, because it wasn’t my first 25. But I have several that they did shoot, my first 25 with them, my first with a 16, and my first with a 20. Then that magic night when I hit 50 straight they shot another.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    KyBoB and win7stw like this.