Anyone seen one of these...?

Discussion in 'Browning Double Auto' started by Bruski, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Bruski

Bruski .410

12ga Browning 2-Shot Blued Wood 28"/26" Full Choke 275966.jpg
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’m not an expert on Double Autos, but I believe only the early guns had steel receivers. Interesting stock, I’ve never seen one like that before. And are both barrels choked Full? What’s the point of that?
  3. If you're referring to Double Autos they only have one barrel. The "Double" means the number of shells it holds (2). I have both a Twelvette and a Twentyweight and they have become my favorites. I hope I didn't misunderstand what you wrote.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Yeah, you did. The OP’s gun said his came with a 28” and 26” barrel, choked FULL.

I also have a DA with two barrels, but it only uses one at a time.
    Anatidae likes this.
  5. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Bruski that one is little different .
    Have never seen with M Carlo stock rear end. The real early ones apart from steel receiver first year like mine have the brass rivert in the forend.
    I have seen one in the 900's serial that has a factory flat knob stock fancy FN grip cap and matching numbers which considered very unusual. I suspect it was a special order as it's got the inlayed owner shield and skip jump checkering which is reserved for highest grades.
    Guess there may be some variations out there that are FN original. The butt plate could be a clue .
    Crossfire Hurricane likes this.
  6. Gotcha. I can swap barrels on my DA's. The Twelvette I have came with a vent rib and vented Poly-Choke while the Twentyweight sports an IC plain barrel. On a side note, when a buddy of mine saw the name "Twentyweight" on the receiver he said it didn't look like a 20 ga. to him. That made me laff. Most guys at the range have never even heard of the Double Auto let alone seen one. The DA's do make good conversation pieces between rounds.

Rudolph31 likes this.
  7. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hi Crossfire how's that DA been working for you lately?
    You shoot and take a DA to the range regular you better get good answering everybody's curiosity questions.
    I always like the one " Do the shells ejecting out the left worry you!!!!!!"
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

You know I used to get asked the exact same question as a 12 yr old dragging a B 2000 around the layouts too!!
  9. Hey Auzzie,
    Seems like almost half my time is spent answering questions and showing how they work, but I enjoy it. In addition to how they load, what impresses a lot of folks is how easy the barrels swap out. Tomorrow is range day once again but this time I gonna take the Auto-5 and the Twelvette. I was considering taking the Twentyweight barrel too but I really don't need it with the Poly-Choke on the Twelvette. I really like the ability to swap barrels around like that. Nice weather tomorrow so I'm gonna pack 'em up on the bike and head out early. I so look forward to getting my range time in along with a ride. One of life's simple pleasures.

10. I'm not at all familiar with the B2000. Is it sorta like a DA except it holds more shells? I understand they were made for a few years in the 1970s but that's about all I know. BTW, Mazda once made a pickup called the B2000.

11. Bruski

Bruski .410

As to the chokes I don't know, will call tomorrow and ask.
    The price isn't too bad NZ$499 (roughly $300 to $310 US) so doable.
  12. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hey Crossfire you know your Mazda's They were sold here too.
    B2000 was like the next evolution of the DA with a mag tube , little bit of hump but kept the LH loading setup and it's gas operated. Early ones were Belgium then Japan build Portugal assemble. Great gun very robust and well made piece totally underrated. I see them advertised cheap as in the land of red,white and blue
    As a hot shot kid back then the one I had was a loaner but could really shoot it.
    I would have one again tomorrow if I could.
    Think Rudolph has one tucked away he might post an image .
  13. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Bruski that price sounds pretty darn good to me with 2 barrels and that be NZD. Might be time to part with some Kiwi coin and become a DA owner.
  14. Bruski

Bruski .410

Could be, could be.
    Let you know tomorrow.
    Auzzie likes this.
  15. Yeah, what's the point of that? If I had two barrels with the same choke I would have a vented Poly put on one of them. I know a lot of people don't like them, but I do. My Twelvette and Remy Sportsman 48 each has a vented Poly-Choke. To me it just gives the gun a little more versatility.

Auzzie and Rudolph31 like this.
  16. Bruski

Bruski .410

If they're both the same, so what?
    Open one to skeet, 1/4 or whatever.
    Easily done. Cheap too. YMMV.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  17. Bruski

Bruski .410

Appears to be only one barrel (28"), butt plate "Browning Double Auto" but no pistol grip cap.
    Tried looking up serial number, didn't seem to match up as far as I could see.
    Number is C14960. Any suggestions? Still undecided at the moment.
  18. Can't say for sure, but your serial # seems to be on the early end. I'm guessing it might be around 1956. I saw one with C12xxx that was dated 1955. Maybe someone who knows more than me can chime in.

19. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

It sounds and adds up original so far. 28” is common size on earlier ones and the serial puts it in that gap pre 60 before the serial prefix lettering change. I am certainly no expert.
    Another thought clue might be are the sling swivels original ? Do they look like an aged match original to the stock ? Do they look professional fit ? The World market guns produced and destined for Europe and wherever often have factory swivels fitted as standard.
    Bruski there should be lot of world market Auto 5 floating around your side of ditch with factory sling swivels. I would take a close look at some of them and compare.
    Regardless looks a nice stock and grip shape and if it fits be a real bonus.
    Should not be too much trouble to find an original rear section over there. Someone will have one around in a shed or store back
  20. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Bump
    Hey Bruski did you finally end up with the DA?