Old BAR vs New BAR

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by gixxerman, Dec 2, 2015.

1. gixxerman

gixxerman Copper BB

Hi Guys. New to the forum, but I've had a few Browning over the years (my fav so far is my BLR in 22-250). Anyways, I want a semi auto in 308 for hunting; mostly whitetail. Ive been looking at getting a brand new BAR Safari MKII but they are going between 1000 and 1300. I have found a very nice 1969 Belgium BAR Grade 1 (true Belgium) with the original iron sights. It is in 90-95% condition and i can get it for 750. I have never handled a BAR; old or new. Can anyone let me in on the significant differences between the two, and possibly any positives/negatives between them as well. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum...!!

I left you a note on your profile page.

Enjoy the forum...
  3. Shawn Healy

Shawn Healy Copper BB

I have thought about buying a BLR just to see if I like the platform... But I like the 100% Belgium made BAR which went into production in 1967 and was a 100% Belgium until 1974 (if I recall). The quality and craftsmanship of those firearms was fantastic. Now if you were talking about a rifle scope from 1969 vs a rifle scope from today, the scopes are hugely improved. The rifles have improved as well but you are shooting a big target. What can you tell me about your BLR? Why is it your fav?
  4. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Gixxerman, there are some parts diagrams/schematics at Brownells.com that you could look through. They show enough that one can see relatively small design changes (improvements, I expect?) since the originals. Or at least I can, since my BAR is a variant of the current Short Trac. One thing I think I know is that the earlier BARs did not have an adjustable gas block. The current ones, at least the Short Trac and Long Trac, do. Not positive about the Safari. Does that matter? Not to most people. It matters if you want to shoot Superformance or Light Magnum ammo, or similar, but apart from that and tuning where your brass falls on the ground, it doesn't matter too much.

Do all the parts interchange? No. Current production parts will be more readily available from Browning. For the original ones, Browning or Brownells may have some, or you may have to go to Numrich. Again, this is not a big deal for most people, since most people rarely or never need parts for their BARs.

Let us know which way you decide to go!
  5. gixxerman

gixxerman Copper BB

Thanks for the info guys. I def want an adjustable gas block, and getting parts is always a consideration. I'll prolly go down the new Mark 2 Safari route; don't see a big reason not to.

As for my BLR, besides how good it looks, it is accurate as hell. I love the 22-250 round. I don't plink with it, only use it for coyotes and chucks now. Whatever you do, do NOT disassemble the bolt/action to clean. You will have to send it away to get fixed lol.
    Shawn Healy and MZ5 like this.
  6. Shawn Healy

Shawn Healy Copper BB

Nice. and I'm looking for a round and gun for coyotes and smaller game and use it for some plinking. I will look up the 22-250 round on youtube to see what I can learn. I like the 7mm-08 but that might be overkill for smaller game. 243 might work as well. Thanks for your input and good luck with finding the bext BAR for your goals.
  7. gixxerman

gixxerman Copper BB

The 22-250 round is FAST! I use hornady superformance 50gr ammo...its ripping out of the muzzle at 4000 fps with 1776 ft/lbs of energy. It is very flat out to 300 yards (-4.3 inches at 2690 fps and 800 ft/lbs energy). If you want a varmint round, its hard to beat. It is know for burning up barrels, but as long as you dont plike a TON, your ok. I read that it takes up to 3000- 4000 rounds before the throat erosion becomes noticeable.
    Shawn Healy likes this.
  8. frsnkgoss

frsnkgoss Copper BB

My BAR SERIAL NUMBER START WITH 137RN14512.-1979 looks like Type 2 stock. Made in Belgium and Assembled in Portugal 7 mm Rem Mag. I just compared the new 277 Fury the US ARMY is working on and ballistically look same just 64,000 vs 80,000 PSI . Fury is shorted and thinner say AR10 . The only info cannot fine is FURY recoil. In Bar the gas piston helps with recoil, but nothing on Fury. Looking for long distance but BAR in 24" and 140 arent the most accurate. This was a used gun from Washington! Any help? BAR IS .284 vs Fury .277 and 140 is 140 gr just different shapes. If round has 80,000 spi vs 64,000 psi thats 20% more psi is it more recoil?
  9. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

What's long range for you? There are lots of difference when it comes to recoil. What do the guns weigh? You can use a recoil calculator to get a close idea. do you plan on reloading? Will it have a break?
  10. snoeproe

snoeproe .22LR

I’ve got a ‘69 BAR in 300 win mag. It doesn’t have bolt/lock hold open feature. I suspect the new models today have that.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  11. snoeproe

snoeproe .22LR

On my ‘69 bar, last round hold open is accomplished by the clip holding the bolt open after the last round is fired.
    I see the new models have what I believe is a bolt release lever/switch. I’m not sure the clip plays the same role for the new models as compared to my old bar ?