New-To-Me Ammo

Discussion in 'Browning Double Auto' started by Crossfire Hurricane, Jan 28, 2023.

1. Hi Everyone,
    I have two DA's, a Twelvette and a Twentyweight. I ran across this ammo and bought a couple of boxes. I haven't tried it out yet, but I was wondering if anyone here has seen or even used it. I just wanted to get an opinion if possible. I plan on using it in the Double Autos. And FWIW, I only shoot trap & skeet. Thanx for any feedback.

upload_2023-1-28_14-50-19.jpeg

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I have used it. I had a bunch of FTF out of auto, but I bought some in 1 1/8 oz and they were fine. One of the shells as I remember was a light strike like 5 times. I even tried them in the auto 5, which eats everything, and it didn't fire either. I stopped buying the 1 oz. I normally buy the cheap federals. They are never a problem.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
  3. Thanx for your reply. That's interesting. I have used 1 0z. ammo in the Remington and Winchester brands in both Double Autos. Those loads were in the 1290 FPS range (mas o menos) with no issues. I wonder why you were having FTF problems. I also have an older Auto-5 to try them out in. This week will give me a chance to test the loads in all three guns. I'll get back to ya with a range report. Thanx again for getting back to me.

4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yes sir keep us updated please. It may have been just some hard primers; I've never had issues with anything else. My silver doesn't like anything under 1290 fps, but I learned to feed her what she likes.
  5. My Twelvette is Velvet Grey (Silver?) so I'll pay particular attention to that one. Thanx.

6. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hey Crossfire. They sell that stuff down here . We always get to try and review all the world's stuff they can't sell or don't want . Marketing dept love to send the "average" marginal non sellers stuff far away as possible.

It works ok pretty reliable out of O/U but sketchy when you feed to an auto.. Steel rims are low cut cheap and nasty and bases are sometimes miss struck out die and convex Ranger is right you will find odd box in a slab with hard primers that need a jackhammer. I will admit on paper they pattern quite well.
    I reckon you might struggle feeding these reliably to your DA as they can be fussy.
    I rec
    Crossfire Hurricane likes this.
  7. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

I've bought many flats of the Winchester Super Target - but usually in #7.5 shot. Love it in the OU (light recoil) but only the Browning Maxus Sporting SA will fire it, with occasional jams. It works in my Beretta 390 as well. Is fairly reliable, but I'd put it below Remington Gun Clubs and Federal.

I used to get it on sale for $5/box, but now I feel lucky getting any box of shells for under $9.
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hi Dallas CMT glad you found the new DA section. Know you were a contributer early days so hope we see you around some more. From memory you still have your nice Black DA?
    Dallas_CMT likes this.
  9. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Yes sir, I still have it. Don't shoot it much anymore, as I mostly shoot clays, and the DA likes heavier loads to cycle. Not a good combo for a light gun! But it's a great gun and I'll never get rid of it. Came with two barrels, IC & Full.

Crazy it's been 10 years since I signed up. Last time I was posting, I was waiting for my new Maxus Sporting to arrive. Now I've got maybe 5k rounds through that with no issues (other than what I've caused!)
    Auzzie and Rudolph31 like this.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Winchester has two white box shotgun ammo, Universal and Super-Target, and it’s easy to get them confused.

I guess they named them Universal because they are universally disliked, even by the Citori crowd. I avoid them like the plague for my semis.

The Super-Targets are better, but I still prefer just about anything else. Although lately Fiocchi and Nobel Sport have not performed well in either mine or my friend’s semis.
    Auzzie and Crossfire Hurricane like this.