Ponsness-Warren Bargain

Discussion in 'The Workbench: Builds And Modifications' started by Ranger6, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Found it much more noticeable and varied between single stage 375 C vs progressive 800c with the ponsness. I would say 1 thump steady motion per shell instead of 5 or 6 on the single stage helps with fine crap powder I use.
    Regardless pinpoint accuracy not that paramount for shot shells but I have seen 1/2 to 3/4 grain variances playing and checking which would make a difference if your sailing close to the wind top end of town. I load well light anyway.
    Be interesting experiment to see consistency your get.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Seen this on another site so thought I would share as an alternative. They are cheaper then the others. I may order some and see which I like better. They also have for the 366(hint for win7stw)

https://imgur.com/a/xptUZBR
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Another PW 375 up and running. I need to order a couple parts for it to be 100% but[​IMG] made some steel loads to see how she works.
  4. Ranger6

The latest and greatest from PW- the taper crimp kit. [​IMG]
  5. Ranger6

I like the PW better than the Mec, however, the PW has some things that I don't like either. I purchased the new taper kit straight from PW and I installed in the tool head. Well, I needed to lower the final crimp and it would not come out of the tool head. I finally had to beat it out. Not what I wanted to do with a new final crimp but didn't see another fix to get it out. During the process I screwed up the top jam nut and some of the threads on the threaded rod. I had to chase the threads and get a new nut. The new taper crimp kit uses 3/8x24 threads. The silver nut came from Home Depot @.68, the rod re-thread was free.
    I talked to Win7stw and seems like he has had the same issue with some of the dies sticking in the tool head. He recommends a reamer to fix the problem. Little more on that in the future.
    Auzzie likes this.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Looks great. I have had that same issue and I think their tolerances are just too damn tight. After we talked I measured the hole in the tool head and it’s .750. The stem of a couple tools measured .7495. I am all for precision in rifle reloading equipment but that seems a bit excessive for a Shotshell Reloader. Another thing over time is the aluminum tool head will oxidize because od dissimilar metals. I wonder if a guy should use some no-alox or anti-seize on the tools
    KyBoB likes this.
  7. Ranger6

I will be doing a PW 800 sometime
    Some of my old rust buckets, they are stuck, and I understand that, but this one was clean, and I used sandpaper to clean off the oxidize. I'm with you.... just too damn close tolerances. I did use some super lube on the tool and put some inside the hole in the tool head. I think I'm still going to get a reamer like you have for the next one.
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Tolerance obviously oversize by PW on the straight shank section.
    Agreed would ream to positive clearance and some good nickel anti seize on both surfaces . The dis similar metals don't help either later on.
    I find the die grub screws also have nasty habit of growing in there over time if they are not coated up as well.
    win7stw likes this.
  9. Ranger6

I have done a little research on this, not much out there. I did find one reference that the diameter on the tool head changed, but can’t verify. I will call PW and see what they say. I have been impressed with the customer service so far.