T-Bolt Trigger Thread

Discussion in 'Browning T-Bolt Rifle' started by jstanfield103, May 21, 2017.

1. Guy's/Gal's
    The following is a post from another site that I posted earlier. Must not have been allowed, because Shooter13 wanted the link dropped and the post changed. So here is the changed post and Shooter13 if you would please delete the other post. Thanks !

Like I said this post is from someone else including the pictures. So Tim1976 at RimFireCentral gets all the credit for this part of the post. I believe he saw it from another thread some where.

But anyway I did this to my T-Bolt and what a huge difference it made. You now have full range of trigger adjustment and I do not have a scale but believe my trigger to be around 2 pounds. No take up and very little movement. I did do a few bump tests and had no accidental discharges. Plus if I ever decide that it is to light I can use the adjustment screw to take the screw all the way past the level of factory setting. This rifle for me is strictly a target rifle (paper puncher) so I really need a nice trigger, it is almost as nice as my Remington 540X and my Clarks Custom 10/22. Anyway made a huge difference in mine.

After seeing the simplicity of the trigger set up I noticed that the spring which the adjustable grub screw affects is under a substantial amount of preload due to the plastic housing protruding about 2.5mm higher than the housing of the grub screw.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a couple of minutes gently shaving the housing in line with the top of the housing for the grub screw the spring now sits more relaxed and the result is a 2 1/2 lb trigger with full adjustment via the adjustment grub screw. Wound out with no pressure on the spring the trigger pull is a perfectly crisp 2 & 1/2 lbs and can be adjusted back up to as heavy as you want.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of my Rifle. Love the size

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thanks for sharing...
  3. Thanks for being understanding on the first post. I will try not to do that again.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

No problem...
  5. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Hummm...
    T-bolt in the safe...
    Rainy day- nothing better to do....
    Trigger is my one complaint....
    Might have to try this out, this evening!
    Thank you for sharing!
  6. Stonehorse

Stonehorse .22LR

I love the rifle except for the lawyer trigger. I looked for and found an after market trigger but decided against ordering it do to the high cost. This looks like a easy, no cost fix. Thanks for sharing.
  7. Stonehorse

Stonehorse .22LR

Well that was a little disappointing. After finishing my 'trigger job' and getting the rifle put back together, I only managed to get one pound reduction. The trigger pulled was tested five times with a electronic tester and with the adjustment screw backed all the way out. An improvement yes but not down to the 2.5 lbs I was hoping for.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  8. Box Car

Box Car .22LR

2.5 lbs. is respectable. I believe the Ruger BX trigger chimes in around the same.
  9. Stonehorse

Stonehorse .22LR

I would have been very happy with 2.5 lbs. Mine is sitting @ 3.25 lbs.
  10. Plumas

Plumas Copper BB

I've looked around to no avail...is there an aftermarket spring to replace the factory spring for a lighter pull rather than physically shaving off the 'shelf' ?
  11. Plumas

Plumas Copper BB

Ordered 2 sear springs directly from Browning, figured to try them for reducing the pull weight without my unsure hand trying to shave plastic that can't be replaced.
    It's a cheap enough attempt so if I screw it up I have not had to sell the farm.
  12. Plumas

Plumas Copper BB

Still have 2 factory springs in the shipping envelope. Using the one installed in the rifle was enough to complete this modification, and if that fails I can replace a factory spring at least. Cost was about $15 for the 2 springs I didn't use.
    I gotta say it is a bit nerve racking to get into it but once I had the cover off and on a few times during the bending process it is not that bad. Did not need to ruin a spring to learn what to do. I suppose the lawyer shelf would be next if desired.

Factory trigger was as light as it would go at 4.25....after the spring work it sits at 3.0...not all I was hoping, 2.0 would be sweet... but this a real improvement and I'm glad I took the plunge...personal choice, always default to a qualified gunsmith (how's that for a disclaimer). So I'll leave it there until after the next field day to see how it works with real targets.

Never would have considered this job without this forum and that good post with pictures on rimfirecentral.
    One addition I did was to blue Loctite the trigger weight adjusting screw as it is loose enough now to jiggle out since there is no pressure on it.

Jard is always available but at 3.0 and as crisp and clean breaking as the factory trigger is I am hoping this will end my trigger woe's.
  13. 633055N

633055N Copper BB

I have the target varmint model and thought the trigger was fairly decent but wanted to make it better. I did the shelf removal and polished up the sear, it was fairly straight forward. I certainly didn't get a feather light trigger but it did lighten and cleaned it up very nice. One day I'll probably try the Jard but this is pretty good.
  14. Kiwi Mark

Kiwi Mark Copper BB

Love this gun, had 3 attempts at getting the trigger right.
    First attempt, chewed out the "lawyer shelf" as well as a bit of the brass insert for the adjusting screw then reassembled.
    Lighter trigger, still too heavy & trigger pull seemed inconsistent.
    Figured that there was insufficient trigger travel.
    Second attempt, removed some meat behind trigger.
    Resulted in consistent trigger but still heavy.
    Third attempt, on inspection the arm of the spring intended to sit on the adjusting screw was not at 90° to the horizontal line of the spring, nor the vertical line either.
    Fixing that had the spring naturally sitting comfortably on the adjusting screw.
    Result has been magnificent.
    Glad I wasn't that observant on my first attempt or I probably wouldn't have picked up the trigger travel problem.
    Possibly could go lighter with vertical adjustment of the spring arm sitting on the adjuster but probably due to the little bit of brass I removed I am in a very happy place with my trigger & the gun as a whole.