Help with dating a High Power Safari

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by TravisInTX, May 22, 2023.

1. TravisInTX

TravisInTX Copper BB

I know this request gets made a lot, and I've tried to do my homework to and figure it out on my own, but I need some help dating a High Power Safari that I'm considering purchasing. The serial number is five digits, then a space, and then L72, so it looks like: XXXXX L72

I've been looking at the table on page 2361 of this reference but it is very poorly worded so I cannot make enough sense of it to be 100% sure.

It first says that between 1959 and 1962, there was no prefix (numeral-letter) before the serial number. This fits this rifle (there is no prefix to the serial number), but there is a letter/number suffix, which makes me think it doesn't truly fit this description.

None of the descriptions for 1963 - 1968 fit.

For 1969, it says "Single letter (Y, Z, or L) followed by last 2 digits of year of mfg." This initially seems like a fit, but 1) this says L72, not L69. Further, the guide specifies "Prefix only," and the L72 code on this rifle is a suffix.

For 1970 - 1975, the guide states that there is a letter/2-digit code, which is what this rifle shows, but again it states that it will be a prefix - not a suffix, and this rifle has a suffix. Further, the guide shows that "L" is associated with 1971, and this rifle shows "L72."

Does anybody know how to decipher all this? I'd really appreciate the help because I'd like to know whether or not I'm running the risk of getting a salt stock before deciding whether or not to buy the gun (and/or how much to pay for it). The current asking price is $1,200, (300 Win Mag, good condition).
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’m going to guess that the guide is wrong in this instance. Also, if this is the NRA guide, it is accurate mainly for US imported guns. World Market guns may be marked differently.
  3. TravisInTX

TravisInTX Copper BB

Thanks for the reply. As best as I can tell, this guide is supposed to be relevant to this rifle, however I have read about a few exceptions - particularly for makes early in the serial number range. Unfortunately, I cannot find anything more definitive.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

MaineMan2 likes this.
  5. South_HouA520

South_HouA520 Copper BB

FN was pretty busy making a lot of stuff for Browning in mid-twentieth Century and - just my opinion - regarded Browning's ever-changing serialization schemes with a certain amused Gallic/Flemish contempt. There are lots of anomalies and anybody who undertakes to lay down the Definitive Browning Serialization Scheme is apt to prove himself a fool. In your case, as Rudolph31 says, your Safari Grade High Power was surely made in 1972. From 1959 until 1975, the letter "L" was used as a product code to indicate a High Power built on FN's Mauser action (as opposed to a Sako action.) Before about 1968, it also indicated a Safari Grade but later could indicate a Medallion or Olympian Grade as well. At least, that is my understanding. In 1972, the letter "L" product code didn't indicate a particular year. The two numerals following it identified the year. Thus, L72 means a Mauser actioned High Power produced (or at least serialized) in 1972.
    Rudolph31 likes this.