1919 16 Gauge Type III

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Oct 2, 2022.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

First of all I want to thank Jimmy aka Jta5er for letting me pursue this gun. I was reluctant at first to go after it because it had been converted to 2-3/4”. After Jimmy found a dandy of a SXS and decided he wanted that more I jumped in on this auction and won it.

This is a 1919 Type III. It matches the picture in S/V page 162. The wood has matching serial numbers. Unfortunately the stock is missing a piece at the toe and the forearm is cracked. I think both could be repaired easily. How the butt plate survived is beyond me.

The barrel is interesting. It is 29.5” with a full choke and an ivory bead. It does not have a serial number on it which I find odd. I don’t believe this is the original barrel because it has an e date code which would be a 1926. It should also have engraving on the top if it were original.

I am very happy with this gun. The engraving is unreal, I can’t get over it. I am a lefty and it has a slight amount of cast on. It pulls up and swings like a dream. It’s a heavy thing weighing in a 7lbs 12.5 oz.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Best for last[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. Biz

Biz 20g

Congratulations, that is an absolutely beautiful early engraved auto 5. They were not much engraving on the barrel, why don’t you have it engraved as the original.
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Very nice. Beautiful engraving.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thank you Marc. I am very torn do I leave this beauty as is or have it returned to its former glory?
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I can’t wait to use this on pheasant opener this Saturday
  9. Biz

Biz 20g

I am amazed that the engraving is in such a good shape. It look like it was freshly engraved.
  10. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Congratulations beautiful gun! Also very rare!
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Beautiful gun, congratulations.

But it doesn’t look to have been converted to 2 3/4 to me. Are you sure?
    win7stw likes this.
  12. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I was going to say the same thing...the barrel extension doesn't stick out that extra little bit, are you sure it has been converted?

No matter-it is a beautiful gun.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yes I’m sure. I installed a spacer in the forearm to make it look correct
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

That’s a great idea! Still, whoever did the conversion either didn’t modify the ejection port it did it so well I can’t see it.
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I had a buddy 3D print these for me. I have different thicknesses. I just file them to fit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

What's your guys thoughts? Should I have it restored or leave it as is?
  17. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I think your touches on the wood and leave as is. I think maybe that ugly palm swell could disappear, even thou you're a damn lefty. and fix that buggered up screw please.
    win7stw likes this.
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I am going to tear this gun down tonight so I can run it through the ultrasonic at work tomorrow. This is the first gun I am nervous to disassemble. I don’t want to jack any screws up
  19. Ranger6

You got the correct screw drivers so you will be good. I would be nervous too. You screw one of those up it won't be an easy fix.
  20. antman73

antman73 .410

Thats a pretty nice find. Engraving alone makes it kind of rare. I don't think I would do much more then a good cleaning and fix the wood.