Recoil Springs

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by Batty, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Batty

Batty Copper BB

I have both calibers and I have questions about the recoil springs. I called Browning and ordered new recoil springs and was told both the .22 and the .380 use the same recoil spring. I found this odd but hey I need to trust their service, and what do I know, right? So I ordered some and they sent me what appear to be springs for the .22. I just want to have some extras on hand.

When I field strip the gun, it is obvious that they do not use the same spring.

The .22 has a 4.7”, 40 coils. The .380 is 4.3”, 27 coils. These are for the full size guns.

If you have either of these guns, can you tell me which spring you have and which caliber you have?

I absolutely HATE that Browning doesn’t have part lists online for these pistols and I have to rely on their customer service people to send me the right stuff (at $8 a pop for shipping). I just think there is no way a .22 and a.380 could be using the same springs and based on what I see when I strip the gun, they don’t.
  2. MCPO

MCPO Copper BB

I have the 'shorter' 380 and I know your asking about the 'longer' 380, but as no one has replied to your post, maybe my measurements may help some. My 380 spring is 3.625" and has 25 coils.
  3. Batty

Batty Copper BB

Thank you. My husband wants to know if that coil count included the first and last “flat” coils, too.
  4. MCPO

MCPO Copper BB

Assuming you mean the muzzle end of the spring. I counted it as one.
  5. I have the compact model model also...and have been meaning to take measurements of mine. Since there is virtually NO aftermarket support for our pistols (with respect to springs) I am going to see if I can find something 'close' that will work. I would very much like to have a slightly heavier recoil spring and an appreciably heavier hammer spring.
  6. Alpha1

Alpha1 .410

I ordered new springs and was a bit. surprised that the 22 spring and the 380 have the same part number. However, I installed the new 22/380 spring, fired 50 rounds using my modified mags with 100% sucess no FTF or misfires. In this case I am also using a full lenght recoil spring rod.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  7. wkrp4me

wkrp4me Guest

Encouraging.
    Mind sharing what type ammo you used? I’m having very reliable results now with Sellier & Bellot FMJ , and with Fort Scott SC-TUI.
    Are you using the ZR Tactical full length guide rod?
  8. Alpha1

Alpha1 .410

I have been using Fiocchi ammo but S&B makes top grade stuff too. Yes I am using ZR full length guide rod but I do not like buffer pads so I never use them. I am not familiar with Fort Scott ammo. Not sure I can tell the diffrence witht the full length rod but I feel better knowing that the spring is not getting all bunched up.
    Siince I made the final mag spring adjustment, that is, having it protrude only the same thickness of the mag, the gun shoots 100%. Like my previous inputs, the design has a serious flaw but can be corrected with just a minor mag spring adjustment. For me, a gun that is not 100% reliable will not be in my inventory. The gun is extremely accurate and fun to shoot.
  9. Alpha1

Alpha1 .410

I know it might be hard to see the spring projection, but if you look carefully the mag on the left is the factory presentation. The mag on the right has a slight projection which solves the FTF issue and the last round locking open feature. IMG_0764.jpeg
  10. wkrp4me

wkrp4me Guest

Thanks. You have been especially patient and helpful.
    I know you have been telling all of us that would listen that the magazine is the problem. Clearly Browning knows all this and just blatantly doesn’t give a rip about handgun customers. I have all of my magazines adjusted like you have shown and my results are excellent. It’s a great little gun……for owners willing to finish Brownings job for them.
  11. Alpha1

Alpha1 .410

I sent my gun back to Browning like a lot of other guys. Came back just the same as when I sent the thing. It took some time to really figure out the main issue, but after making the corrections, this has turned out to be one really fine shooter. Too bad Browning is sort of blind to the problem. I shooting this gun as it is very accurate, and 1911's are my favorite. I have owned a lot of guns and still do. One that did not last very long in my inventory was a Ruger 22LR. What a piece of junk.
    I will be back out on the range again once my flu has cleared up. Have a great Holiday time and I will up date after the next shooting.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2022