BROWNING MODEL 1885

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by SHOOTER13, Sep 6, 2012.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Here's a thread dedicated to the Browning Model 1885... as a favor to new member djh !

Enjoy... ;)
  2. djh

djh .22LR

Thank you so much. The Browning model 1885 is a great Browning rifle.

No. 1 is in 30-06 caliber of which I hand load and is the most accurate rifle I have ever had.
    It is carring an old origional Vintage Denver, Colo. Redfield 4-12x40 AO scope. Best scope I ever owned.

[​IMG]

No. 2 is in 45-90 and is a Hog stopper for sure.
    Is carring a Simmons 4-16x40 AO scope.

[​IMG]

The 30-06 is my favorite rifle.

You can see my complete collection by clicking on this link: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/cowbo ... tures.html
    fboyj and TBoe like this.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

The wood on those firearms really stands out...is there a secret ( Pledge ? )
  4. djh

djh .22LR

No secret SHOOTER13.
    The top gun has the origional Browning stock that came on it.
    The 45-90 has a stock I had made by CPA Corporation, Dingman Ferry, PA.
    Both look pretty nice don't they.
    Thanks for the comment.
    djh
  5. Armymark

Armymark .22LR

DJH, I thought I recognized you, I hang out on the Marlin Owners forum as well. Mostly the 450 and the 1894! I am a great fan of the 1887 and have 2. 45-70 and 30.06. I guess you and I will have to get this 1885 section going with some gusto. I posted in the hunt forum but I'm goint to put my Caribou hunt pics in here too if thats ok.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    fboyj and TBoe like this.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Nice 'boo ArmyMark !!
  7. Armymark

Armymark .22LR

My 30.06 is very accurate as well. What is the best load you have found? Mine is new to me and I used factory loads for my hunt. I usually handload everything but I ran out of time and went with the Winchester Supreme elite with the XP3. I was very impressed with that. The 45-70 was loaded with the 350gn Swift A-Frame and 63 grains of H335.
    Here are a couple more pics of my 1885s.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    fboyj likes this.
  8. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Great looking 1885's armymark. Browning 1885 is definately on the list of firearms to get. What type of scopes are you using?
  9. Armymark

Armymark .22LR

The 30.06 is sporting a Leupold Vari-XIII 3.5-10 and the 45-70 is the Vari-XIII 2.5-8. Very happy with both.
  10. djh

djh .22LR

Armymark,
    Only thing I can say about those 1885's and that Caribou is <<<BEAUTIFULL>>>.

I am posting target pictures of my two 1885's.
    First the 30-06:
    [​IMG]
    That's at 100 yards.
    Load:
    Bullet - Hornady 150 grain
    Powder - H435 @ 60.2 grains
    Brass - Winchester
    Primer - CCI-BR2
    OAL - 2.73
    Never had the chance to chrono this load.
    Second the 45-90:
    [​IMG]
    The 185 grain bullet seemed to work best in this 45-90. I worked up loads using the 405 and 520 grain but never could find one I really liked. This target was shot at 50 yards.
    Load:
    Bullet - Lyman 457124 RN
    Powder - 5744 @ 28.1 grains gave me 1304.7 FPS
    Brass - Starline
    Primer - CCI-200
    OAL 2.90

Second load was:
    Browning 1885 45/90 Lyman 457125 Starline WLR XMP 5744 32.0 grains
    High Wall 520 grain
    Cast RN
    .458 Diameter @ 1422 FPS
    3.15 OAL

Hope this helps you.
    djh
    Yep I do visit the MarlinOwners. com web-site as well.
  11. FINhunter

FINhunter Copper BB

Here is my 1885 30-06, I owned 2 years, it´s made on 1996.
    It´s very accurate rifle.
    Scope on the pictures are S&B 8x56 but now it´s Meopta 7x50 illum reticle.
    Meopta´s 50mm fits better whit low mounts. It´s still good after dawn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waiting deers to come
    [​IMG]

Fox from last autumn
    [​IMG]
  12. FINhunter

FINhunter Copper BB

Today my 1885 gets his work done.
    [​IMG]
  13. Billythekid

Nice shooting Finhunter!!!
  14. Armymark

Armymark .22LR

Well done Fin!
  15. FINhunter

FINhunter Copper BB

16. Seth

Seth Copper BB

New poster here. I have a question about a problem I am having with an 1885 I just bough used. I have fired it less than 20 times and have had about a third of those firings require several attempts. It seems that the hammer frequently falls only to half cock.

I noticed before I took it out to shoot that I could not ease the hammer down all the way onto the firing pin. I figured that had something to do with an inertial sear mentioned in the owner's manual I found on line. Is that normal or is it caused by the same problem I am having getting the rifle to fire?

I also noticed that the trigger pull adjustment screw was very hard to turn. I do not like to force thing and was not able to adjust it more than 1/2 turn. The manual mentioned that excessive adjustment could keep the trigger from functioning. Could this be the problem?

I suppose I will have to send it back to Browning but hope that some of you more familiar with this model could shed some light on what might be occurring to cause this failure.

It is a 45/70. # 02181PNxxx

Thanks for any information you might be able to provide.
  17. Billythekid

Hey, welcome to the Browning Owners Community!! the trigger adjustment screw will definitaly cause issues with the gun if its to far screwed in/out. I would see if you can work on loosening the screw up. Also how does the firing pin spring look, does it seem worn out?
  18. Seth

Seth Copper BB

The rifle seems practically unused and the firing pin spring acts as if it is undamaged.

I hate to force things and have been hesitant to apply much force to that little screw. I also do not know whether it may be too far in or too far out. I will have to tinker gently with it to see if I can get a better handle on what is happening. Perhaps a little penetrating oil would help.

Should I be able to lower the hammer completely by easing it down?

Thanks for the welcome.
  19. Armymark

Armymark .22LR

I would have Browning fix it. I have a couple 1885s and have no issues but with what you describe, it sounds like someone tried to trick it out and created a problem. I would send it in to Browning.
  20. hunt1415

hunt1415 Copper BB

I am looking for some information on a B78, which seems to be an 1885 with a pistol grip instead of the straight stock. I see many 6mm rem, 22-250, 30-06, and others. But, I don't see .243 win in the B78. Yes, there is the Low Wall in the .243. Is/was there a high wall version in the .243. Do they ever show up for sale?