Browning BAR Rifle Reviews

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by Billythekid, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Browning BAR Review
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0r5aWLJC0Q[/youtube]
  2. stealthshooter

stealthshooter Copper BB

i absolutely love that video. makes me want a get a BAR. So badass...
  3. Billythekid

http://www.chuckhawks.com/bar.htm

The Browning BAR Mark II Rifle

By Chuck Hawks

Safari Grade BAR Mk. II w/BOSS. Illustration courtesy of Browning.
    The Browning BAR Mark II is the most popular of all semi-automatic hunting rifles. It comes in three basic models: Safari, ShortTrac/LongTrac, and Lightweight Stalker.

All BAR Mark II rifles feature advanced self-cleaning gas operation, seven lug rotary bolt, dual action bars, removable trigger assembly, bolt lock release lever, ambidextrous crossbolt safety with an enlarged head, hinged floorplate with removable box magazine, gold plated trigger, and studs for detachable sling swivels. The magazine capacity is 4 for standard calibers, 3 for belted magnum calibers, and 2 for WSM calibers. Unfortunately, all of the BAR Mk. II triggers that I have ever tried are creepy and too heavy; this is something that the factory should correct.

Open sights are standard on the Lightweight Stalker model, and no longer available on other models. BOSS is an option available on the Safari model only.

The Browning BOSS (Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System) is an accuracy enhancing and recoil reducing system that includes an adjustable muzzle brake/weight. It can be adjusted to optimize barrel vibration for enhanced accuracy with any bullet weight. The vented muzzle brake is claimed to reduce recoil by about a third. There is also an optional non-vented BOSS CR muzzle weight. The BOSS system is available for standard calibers .270 and .30-06 plus all magnum calibers. The BAR's gas operation noticeably reduces perceived recoil, even without the ventilated BOSS muzzle brake.

The top of the line Safari model has an engraved, forged steel receiver and a genuine walnut stock and forearm with generous areas of diamond pattern cut checkering. All metal surfaces are highly polished and deep luster blued, and the wood has a beautiful high gloss finish. The barrel lengths are 22 inches in standard calibers, 23 inches in WSM calibers, and 24 inches in belted magnum calibers. The Safari has the best lines, best finish, and is by far the most attractive BAR Mk. II model.

Safari standard calibers include the .22-250 Remington, .243 Winchester, .25-06 Remington, .270 Winchester, .308 Winchester, and .30-06 Springfield. Magnum calibers include the .270 WSM, 7mm WSM, 7mm Remington Magnum, .300 WSM, .300 Winchester Magnum, and .338 Winchester Magnum. Average weight for standard caliber Safari rifles is 7 pounds 6 ounces. Safari magnum rifles weigh 8 pounds 6 ounces (8 pounds 4 ounces for WSM calibers). Overall length is 43 inches for standard calibers, 44 inches for WSM calibers, and 45 inches for belted magnum calibers.

The Lightweight Stalker model has an aircraft grade aluminum alloy receiver without engraving and a 20 inch barrel in standard calibers. WSM calibers come with 23" barrels and belted magnum calibers come with a 24 inch barrel. Open sights are standard. The metal finish is a low glare black matte and the stock is a weather-resistant black synthetic. This is essentially a lighter and very plain utility version of the Safari model.

Lightweight Stalker standard calibers include .243 Winchester, .270 Winchester, .308 Winchester, and .30-06 Springfield. Magnum calibers are .270 WSM, 7mm WSM, 7mm Rem. Mag., .300 WSM, .300 Win. Mag., and .338 Win. Mag. Weight is 7 pounds 2 ounces to 7 pounds 12 ounces, depending on caliber. Overall length is 41 to 45 inches, depending on barrel length.

The LongTrac and ShortTrac models (long action and short action--get it?) feature Euro-trash styling. This includes the blocky lines, odd stock and forearm angles, squared trigger guard, and small checkered panels typical of this firearm style. The clumsy stocks are, surprisingly, walnut. The Trac models are built on an aluminum alloy receiver sans engraving and are supplied with a plastic trigger guard and magazine floor plate. (Those Europeans are so sophisticated!) They come with a set of six shims that can be used to adjust the angle of the butt stock. The MSRP is similar to Safari models, so all the shortcuts don't save the consumer any money--but undoubtedly they do increase Browning's profit margin.

ShortTrac calibers are .243 Win. and .308 Win, plus .270, 7mm, and .300 WSM. Barrel lengths are 22" (standard calibers) and 23" (magnum calibers). Weight is 6 pounds 10 ounces for standard calibers and 7 pounds 4 ounces for magnum calibers.

LongTrac calibers are .270 Win., .30-06, 7mm Rem. Mag., and .300 Win. Mag. Barrel lengths are 22" (standard calibers) and 24" (magnum calibers). Weight is 6 pounds 15 ounces for standard calibers and 7 pounds 8 ounces for magnum calibers.

I own a Safari grade BAR Mk. II (with BOSS) in .338 Win. Mag. caliber. It has proven to be an accurate and reliable rifle. This is one autoloader that literally shoots as well as a bolt action. I particularly appreciate the recoil reduction effect provided by the gas operated action, which makes it faster than other rifles of similar power to get back on target for repeat shots.

The BAR Mark II Safari is a handsome and deadly autoloading hunting rifle. I consider it to be, as Browning advertises, "The best there is."
    Jerry Decker likes this.
  4. Billythekid

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured ... AR_201006/

Browning BAR LongTrac
    Rifle Report.
    By Stan Trzoneic

Browning's BAR sporting rifle dates back to 1963 when the company decided it wanted to add a semiauto to its line of hunting rifles. While some of the design team wanted the classic Auto-5 humped receiver, others wanted the more modern styling of the Double Automatic receiver. The result was a compromise incorporating features of both designs, and the BAR was introduced to the market on July 17, 1967.

When I was in my early 20s and hunting out West for the first time, it was fun to see the hackles go up on the veteran hunters when a sport brought a semiautomatic rifle into camp. Semiautos were frowned on by many, branded as too inaccurate for longer shots in the West. Curiosity got the best of me, though, so I did some detailed testing of a Browning BAR I had back then, a 7mm Remington. I tested 38 different handloads and commercial loadings and discovered this gun could produce three-shot groups as small as 3/4 inch.

Recently, Browning decided to update the BAR design with ShortTrac and LongTrac versions, and with that came new features and a new look. The gun is available in both right- and left-hand models, in cartridges up to the .325 WSM, and with stock offerings that include Mossy Oak camo, black synthetic and upper-grade wood.

I asked Browning to send a sample in the new Grade II rifle, chambered for .30-06. I wasn't disappointed. The LongTrac's lines are clean, and fit and finish are what we expect from Browning--from the tight clearances on the wood-to-metal fit to the overall quality and finish of the wood. Although the figure of the Grade II wood was rather plain, the color and grain structure still make this gun a standout. The wood is treated to an oil finish, and the fore-end and the buttstock matched in color.

The stock boasts an ample amount of skip-line checkering interspaced with diamonds, which add depth to the pattern. The fore-end is long and tapered from the receiver to the front sling swivel, which doubles as the fore-end release. The pistol grip has a nice feel to it as Browning has removed just a bit of wood in this area.

The receiver on the Grade II is made from aircraft-grade aluminum alloy and is satin nickel-finished with a Browning logo and floral artwork in high-relief engraving. The traditional Browning profile is there, but the famous "hump" has been slimmed so it flows into the buttstock.

The gun comes without sights and is drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Browning sent a pair of branded aluminum mounts made by Talley, in which I installed a Bushnell Elite 3-9X scope that matched the finish of the high-gloss barrel.

The new BARs feature an adjustable shim system that allows you to customize both the drop at the heel and the cast-off of the stock via six shims that are included with each rifle. Simply separate the stock from the receiver as outlined in the instruction book and install the correct shim for your needs. The gun ships with the No. 2 neutral shim installed.

Browning also offers a choice of a 1/2-, 3/4- and one-inch interchangeable recoil pads to fit shooters with different arm lengths or to adjust for heavy or light clothing.

The BAR is gas-operated and employs a seven-lug, rotating bolt with recessed face that locks directly into the barrel. Extraction and ejection were flawless during testing. The action incorporates a rigid action bar and an inertia block.
  5. Billythekid

http://www.thegunsource.com/Browning-BAR.aspx

Browning BAR Rifles

Browning firearms are some of the most popular firearms on the market, originally formed in 1927, Browning Arms began to rise above the ranks and is still a top firearms producer. Browning Arms is owned by parent company FN Herstal, which is well known for countless innovations, which can be found in all Browning rifles, Browning shotguns, and Browning pistols. The majority of Browning owners say they won't trust any other firearm, for price and quality, Browning Arms delivers the best of both worlds. Browning accessories range from Browning boots to Browning game calls, all built for the quality you can depend on.

The Browning BAR series rifles are gas-operated semi-automatic rifles, which quickly gained credit amoung the US Military, and was adopted by the military by 1917. Designed by John Browning, the Browning BAR had a service period of 1917 until the 1960s. Now the reliable Browning BAR design is still popular in the civilian market, with precision and accuracy. The Browning BAR models range from the Browning BAR Safari to the Browning BAR left-handed series, and all have the function and accuracy you can count on.

Browning BAR Light Weight Stalker

.243 Winchester
    .308 Winchester
    .270 Winchester
    30-06
    .300 Winchester Magnum
    .338 Winchester Magnum
    .300 WSM
    .270 WSM
    7mm WSM
    Browning BAR LongTrac

.270 Winchester
    30-06
    7mm Remington Magnum
    .300 Winchester Magnum

Browning BAR LongTrac Stalker

.270 Winchester
    30-06
    7mm Remington Magnum
    .300 Winchester Magnum
    Browning BAR LongTrac Left-Hand

.270 Winchester
    30-06
    7mm Remington Magnum
    .300 Winchester Magnum

Browning LongTrac Mossy Oak Break-Up

.270 Winchester
    30-06
    7mm Remington Magnum
    .300 Winchester Magnum
    Browning BAR Safari

.243 Winchester
    .308 Winchester
    25-06
    .270 Winchester
    30-06
    7mm Remington Magnum
    .300 Winchester Magnum
    .338 Winchester Magnum

Browning ShortTrac BAR Rifle

.243 Winchester
    .308 Winchester
    .300 WSM
    .270 WSM
    7mm WSM
    Browning BAR ShortTrac Stalker

.243 Winchester
    .308 Winchester
    .300 WSM
    .270 WSM
    7mm WSM

Browning ShortTrac Left-Hand

.243 Winchester
    .308 Winchester
    .300 WSM
    .270 WSM
    7mm WSM
    Browning ShortTrac Mossy Oak

.243 Winchester
    .308 Winchester
    .300 WSM
    .270 WSM
    7mm WSM
  6. Billythekid

http://shootermagazine.com/the-browning ... -ii-rifle/

The Browning BAR Mark II Rifle

The Browning BAR Mark II is the most popular of all semi-automatic hunting rifles. It comes in three basic models: Safari, ShortTrac/LongTrac, and Lightweight Stalker.
    All BAR Mark II rifles feature advanced self-cleaning gas operation, seven lug rotary bolt, dual action bars, removable trigger assembly, bolt lock release lever, ambidextrous crossbolt safety with an enlarged head, hinged floorplate with removable box magazine, gold plated trigger, and studs for detachable sling swivels. The magazine capacity is 4 for standard calibers, 3 for belted magnum calibers, and 2 for WSM calibers. Unfortunately, all of the BAR Mk. II triggers that I have ever tried are creepy and too heavy; this is something that the factory should correct.
    Open sights are standard on the Lightweight Stalker model, and no longer available on other models. BOSS is an option available on the Safari model only.
    The Browning BOSS (Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System) is an accuracy enhancing and recoil reducing system that includes an adjustable muzzle brake/weight. It can be adjusted to optimize barrel vibration for enhanced accuracy with any bullet weight. The vented muzzle brake is claimed to reduce recoil by about a third. There is also an optional non-vented BOSS CR muzzle weight. The BOSS system is available for standard calibers .270 and .30-06 plus all magnum calibers. The BAR’s gas operation noticeably reduces perceived recoil, even without the ventilated BOSS muzzle brake.
    The top of the line Safari model has an engraved, forged steel receiver and a genuine walnut stock and forearm with generous areas of diamond pattern cut checkering. All metal surfaces are highly polished and deep luster blued, and the wood has a beautiful high gloss finish. The barrel lengths are 22 inches in standard calibers, 23 inches in WSM calibers, and 24 inches in belted magnum calibers. The Safari has the best lines, best finish, and is by far the most attractive BAR Mk. II model.
    Safari standard calibers include the .22-250 Remington, .243 Winchester, .25-06 Remington, .270 Winchester, .308 Winchester, and .30-06 Springfield. Magnum calibers include the .270 WSM, 7mm WSM, 7mm Remington Magnum, .300 WSM, .300 Winchester Magnum, and .338 Winchester Magnum. Average weight for standard caliber Safari rifles is 7 pounds 6 ounces. Safari magnum rifles weigh 8 pounds 6 ounces (8 pounds 4 ounces for WSM calibers). Overall length is 43 inches for standard calibers, 44 inches for WSM calibers, and 45 inches for belted magnum calibers.
    The Browning BOSS (Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System) is an accuracy enhancing and recoil reducing system that includes an adjustable muzzle brake/weight. It can be adjusted to optimize barrel vibration for enhanced accuracy with any bullet weight. The vented muzzle brake is claimed to reduce recoil by about a third. There is also an optional non-vented BOSS CR muzzle weight. The BOSS system is available for standard calibers .270 and .30-06 plus all magnum calibers. The BAR’s gas operation noticeably reduces perceived recoil, even without the ventilated BOSS muzzle brake.
  7. sirgilligan

sirgilligan Copper BB

Two years ago my Dad found an excellent used Browning BAR .30-06. He knew I was saving to get a new one and this one was like new. He bought it and a few months later I was surprised with a Christmas present.

[​IMG]

This rifle is prized by me and my brother. My brother is an avid reloader and has spent a lot of time getting all of his rifles shooting with a load tailored to the rifle. My Safari is what he calls "ammo insensitive". I had never shot a scoped rifle until this one. I am terrible at it. We were sighting in for an Antelope hunt and my brother loaded my rifle with three rounds. Two were 150 grain rounds, one was 110.
    He laid the rifle across a feed trough and shot all three rounds at a target 135 yards away. Less than one inch group. He quickly proclaimed this to be the best shooting semi-auto Browning he had shot, and he has and has shot a few.

I learned to turn the scope down between 4 and 6 power and soon I was shooting good enough to hit a Antelope.
  8. Billythekid

What a great looking BAR!! I love the wood finish on the BAR. The Browning BAR Safari is the next Browning gun on my list to get.
  9. psient

psient .22LR

Wow I am soooo jealous. You must have been a very good fella for Santa to treat you so well!

Good hunting!
  10. psient

psient .22LR

Let us know when you get yours Billy!
  11. ddennie

ddennie .22LR

I just purchased a new MarkII Safari and I have to say I'm very impressed. After reading this review I'm even happier with my purchase. Of all the Brownings I own (and I now have 6) this is the nicest one of all.
    Now, if I could just get my hands on a maral.....but thats for another time.
  12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Post a pic or two of that Browning collection DD... !!
  13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

sirgilligan was last seen:
    Sep 28, 2013

I know you want/need answers immediately ...unfortunately, it looks like you'll have to be patient.