Wont sight in

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by Tonto, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Tonto

Tonto Copper BB

Hey fellows, I bought my 270 Belgian BAR back in 1982. It started missing shots at deer. Put in on paper & it has given me 15" groups @ 100 yds. The bolt recently began sticking after shooting a box of Winchester Ammo & I noticed the primers blowing out. Winchester sent the gun to a gunsmith (wouldn't tell me who) and it came back with a black bolt. It cycles every time now but still does not group. I have shot about 1000 rounds through it. Is it possibly a bad barrel? Can you get replacement barrels for it? I did get a local gunsmith remove the copper from the barrel (electrolysis). This rifle is very special to me. Has anyone had a problem like this?
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Damn shame...

I would imagine you can purchase a replacement barrel from Browning:

Browning Parts
    3005 Arnold-Tenbrook Road
    Arnold, Missouri 63010-4728
    636-287-6800
    Fax: 800-817-4755

When ordering parts it is important that you list the code number, part name, caliber or gauge, model, grade and serial number. All parts prices are F.O.B. (Freight on Billing) point of shipment. Since Browning parts will not interchange with guns of other manufacturers, our parts sales and repairs are limited to our products. You can also view available parts for the firearms Browning currently has inventory for by going to the Gun Parts Price List.

If you need parts or service for an obsolete Browning firearm, you can go to Parts and Service for Obsolete Browning Firearms.

http://www.browning.com/support/parts-service.html
  3. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Wow, that's too bad. I can't hardly imagine a barrel being shot out in 1000 rounds, unless you shot all 1000 in an afternoon or two. :)

Seems like something must be loose or super dirty or... something? The barrel could be damaged, rather than shot out, but I don't think we have a decent way to judge that remotely.
  4. kumpe

kumpe .410

Did you let the gunsmith do the electrolysis before or after the problem started?
    Was the gun properly maintained and cleaned over the years?
    Do you have a photo of a case with a blown primer?
    How did the bullet holes look on paper, nice and round?
    Stupid question maybe, but have you ruled out the possibility that the spread is due to something wrong with the scope mount. Assuming it is scoped, of course.

The only things i have experienced that can cause a rifle to spread that badly are when the bullets don't stabilize for some reason, or that something is putting strain on the barrel or receiver.
  5. XDMBOB

XDMBOB .270 WIN

Was this caused by bad Ammo? Is that why Winchester sent it in? If so make sure they make it right!
  6. Tonto

Tonto Copper BB

Thanks guys, the grouping problem started before the Winchester ammo. The bolt quit closing all the way with the ammo. They did fix that problem & were easy to work with. I took the scope off, made sure everything was tight (it was) and tried it with a Leopold Scope as well as a new Bushnell Scope. The electrolysis was done after the problem started. I have always used Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip ammo & found it to shoot them very well. The gun has been taken good care of. It is clean & has been cleaned many times since this started. No problem with bullet holes being deformed.

I agree this is hard to diagnose without seeing it. I'm thinking it needs to go to a professional. Not one here in Tallahassee. Do you guys no somebody that is good with Browning's?
  7. XDMBOB

XDMBOB .270 WIN