Winchester Super Handicap

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Auzzie, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Calling Ranger or anybody in the know. Can somebody have a look up some data and find out if Winchester super handicap powder can be loaded back to give a lighter load at 1 oz or 7/8 for skeet at 1200 say.
    I am completely strangled to get any powder apart from what I have stored but have found three bottles of super handicap powder that have come up . The bottle recommends for factory load copy HS hull , WAA12, 209, 1 1/8 oz, & 20.9 g to give 1250.
    That’s way too punchy for what I want but it’s come to beggars can’t be choosers time and headed towards shoot or no shoot scenario as ammo is such short supply here and gone through roof prices.
    Appreciate bit of research . Have plenty HS cass and eurotrash straightwalls to work with. I have bad shoulder after 2 surgeries so need wimpy loads that will function my rem 1100 comp synthetic. Normally run 13/16 shot at around 1180 1200 mark for skeet and gun works fine.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Ok lets see if we can make this simple. You can load 1 oz loads with this powder, but the waa12 wad may not be a good fit. The claybuster wad or the waa12sl wad would work in this hull, but don't know if you have those. The good thing is that the WSH is a dense powder so the stack height is good with those wads. On the other hand in 7/8 its gonna burn up before the wad leaves the barrel. The 1oz load may work with your wad, but it could be dirty and may not get a good burn. When you keep ever thing the same and drop the payload the velocity will certainly go up, so that is gonna go in the wrong direction from what you want. You could always load some with 1 0z and see how they preform,( you may need to use a filler in the bottom of wad). Your gonna have to be careful dropping your powder to much or the result will be a dud. I have posted some 1 0z loads from Hodgdon web site, if you need a little clearer I can email to you.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Here you go

Attached Files:

4. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Ok thanks for that. Think can get hands on some WAA sl . I did some research too so think can make a stop gap load out of the stuff. Things have got pretty tight for the shotshell loading fraternity here. Can’t load if you have no powder. Since ADI stopped producing there is nothing to be had at all and nobody appears interested in importing anything powder wise as it’s all too hard. Hopefully somebody will take up the charge soon otherwise we will eventually starve out.
    Thanks for your help.
  5. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

That 1 oz at 18.9 g for 1180 looks a start point. Bit of experimenting might be able to ween a little bit of shot off and still have for it to work ,burn n go bang. Bit of undershot filler will do the trick. Styrene meat trays and a wad punch work perfect.
    I don’t mind if loads dip in a bit in the crimp as long as sealed and rigid enough to keep the balls in where they belong instead of the trigger group. That happening cost me a pair in skeet doubles comp off 4 last weekend.
  6. Ranger6

Auzzie: your on the right track. I would probably see what the wad you have looks like with 1 oz of shot. I don’t know what the factory load pressure is, but I’m guessing you got a little room to work with. I have used felt cushion in the bottom of wad on several loads and seen no real difference in pattern and have read no real difference in the pressure. Matter fact the monarch hull I had tested(posted at bottom of 444 post) had felt in the bottom of the wad. It patterns great and is under Saami. Your no newbie to this game, and sometimes you have to make work with what you have.
  7. Ranger6

I feel your pain on the powder, even that it’s better on this side then yours. We might all be going back to black powder, which is no problem for me. It’s actually on the list of things to play with a little more.
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

You will have fun with BP. We get WANO which is German.
    Stuff I have had success with is 3F or 4F in hs hull or eurotrash , 209 with wad punched 3/8 felt wad and roll crimped with an oz of 7 1/2.
    My comic buddy likes to loads them clear see through card to the shot and puts those jiggly plastic eyes off cheap ass greeting cards on top inside under the shot card and crimps up.
    Then he tells people his shells are automatically focused on the target. That’s his gag for novelty days and Xmas shoot.

Your into sxs so you could really look the part of Jed Clampet on the skeet field with BP and some theatric smoke out your hammer gun. Very effective for night shots.
    Ranger6 likes this.