Why no paper hulls anymore?

Discussion in 'Ammunition' started by Rob poston, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

I get it. Plastic is here to stay. They can be reloaded over and over. They will not swell. They are more consistent, and are not affected by moisture as much as paper hulls are. That being said, there is just something cool about shooting paper hulled 12g shells. So why is there no love for these things? Federal is the only company that makes them still. So am I alone here, or do other people have a fondness for these vintage style hulls?
    kumpe and SHOOTER13 like this.
  2. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

Take another step back
    Brass shotshells
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  3. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Those are cool. To me though, they are more "cowboy" than the paper hulls. I guess because I am a 1940's nut, but I really dig the paper shells.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. kumpe

kumpe .410

You're not alone. I'd choose paper hull and fibre wad over plastic any day. Not only for the look and feel, but also because I hate spreading plastic around me, and aside from inevitably leaving plastic wads behind you always loose a shell or two in the bush when hunting...
    Unfortunately it's the same story on this side of the pond, not many manufacturers still make them.
    Our biggest manufacturer here in Sweden, Gyttorp, still makes a fairly good paper shell but the price is high.
    However, my great-grandfather left a whole bunch of old shells behind when he passed and I use them sometimes. I'm not sure how old they are. At least from 1965, probably older but they work perfectly fine.
    The feeling when you load one of these vintage shells in your gun is awesome, especially when loading them in my old Auto-5... :)

[​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

When I moved into my old farmhouse I discovered several partial boxes of 12ga paper hull ammo and one box containing a hunting license from 1945
    Also a bunch of 32 rimfire ammo, short , long, and extra-long!
  6. XDMBOB

XDMBOB .270 WIN

I have a few old paper hulls, well actually a em asfull box of Remington Peters! I'll never shoot are a good conversation piece with the younger folks, have had several say they never saw them before! LOL
  7. XDMBOB

XDMBOB .270 WIN

Just got this in an email! Anyone know why? Trolls?

Browning Owners
    XDMBOB, uriah Jnn replied to a thread you are watching at Browning Owners.

Why no paper hulls anymore?
    [​IMG]
    Of course it is no Alpha Monster Advanced problem locating them at the internet but do be careful about sources and nice. some other extreme favourite is Creatine and it is utilized by millions maybe. frame constructing and weight lifting positioned an unusual demand on the body for creatine and for the reason that frame does not create sufficient to address that load, then there can also may want to be a need to supplement. Creatine is extremely well favored by absolutely everyone in this sport. The great creatine supplements are made with dextrose and different amino acids.
    http://www.healthsupreviews.com/alpha-monster-advanced/
    View This Thread Unread Watched Threads
    This message was sent to you because you opted to watch the thread Why no paper hulls anymore? at Browning Owners with email notification of new replies. You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may disable emails from this thread or disable all emails.
  8. Norske

Norske .410

I like the smell of burnt beeswax, whether from paper shotshell hulls or the Alox bullet lube in my home-cast bullets.