When it rains...

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by pendennis, Apr 14, 2016.

1. pendennis

pendennis .22LR

I'd been eyeing this particular MkIII in .40 S&W for a couple of weeks at the LGS. It's been in his used case for several months, and the condition can be stated as New In Box. There are no marks or scratches of any kind, it has the original box and spare magazine. The manila envelope which has the spent case in it, was marked "Vigilante", and produced in 2002 according to the serial number. Evidently the Vigilante is the former Standard model, and has fixed sights and standard walnut stocks.

I asked if he had any wiggle room on the price, and gave me another $60 off the price of $800. Cash was immediately exchanged for the pistol. Goes to the range this weekend, and I'll have the magazine safety removed next week.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    ladyrider08 and Stephen Bennett like this.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

That's a beauty....
  3. Very nice let's hope it pours for you again soon. Personally, I'd leave as is. I wouldn't remove the mag safety.
    Steve
  4. I've always wanted one of these.
    Steve
  5. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

That's pretty nice. I finally got hold of a .40 HP....I'm tempted to carry it but my spare mag holders are made for 1911's.

I am split on the mag safety thing: without it, mags drop free and the trigger is far better. With it, I don't have as much to worry about from an unscrupulous DA that says "this guy is so reckless he had a safety taken off" to a jury that has never owned a gun of any kind before and may be scared of guns.
  6. Removing mag safety does not guarantee the mags will drop right out, I've experienced where some honing in mag well is required.
    Steve
  7. pendennis

pendennis .22LR

Steve, I had a Hi Power refinished to Cerakote, which is .003-.005" thick. Even removing the magazine safety, the mags don't yet fall out, even with the mouse trap type. I'm in the process of using some very fine wet/dry paper in the mag well to "slick it up".
  8. pendennis, I would back off and use as is? Any cerakote residue may gum up the works. Your pictures show a very attractive handgun, why would you refinish?
    Steve
  9. pendennis

pendennis .22LR

This one is definitely not a candidate for anything but shooting. The deep blue finish on this one is gorgeous, just about as beautiful as any Colt or S&W I own.

I have another Hi Power which the previous owner had tried to remove the magazine safety, and butchered the original epoxy finish. Since the finish was so damaged, I opted to have it Cerakoted, instead of epoxy-finished. There's enough excess Cerakote in the mag well to remove some.

Here's the link to the Hi Power I had Cerakoted:
    http://browningowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/hi-power-mkii-refinished-to-cerakote.5131/
  10. OK now I understand, must of been mixed up on which was which, sorry.
    Steve
  11. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

What a beautiful handgun! I graduated college in 2003.