What type of stockpile does everyone have?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by DoubleTap, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Quite a find. I got a deal on my first Auto-5 at Cabelas, but now everything is priced like a museum piece. I do much better at GunBroker.

And I agree, I like a nicely preserved gun that's not so nice I can't use it.

I hope you get your Sweet Sixteen. You might be hooked! You too, Mr. Dallas.

Be sure to check the chamber dimensions--pre WWII 16s have 65mm (2 9/16") chambers. Post WWII guns are 70mm (2 3/4"). 2 1/2" ammo is available but expensive. I now load my own.
  2. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Well actually it's not mine to get - it belongs to my sister-in-law. But still I need to check it out and give it a go! She agreed to take it to the skeet range. Hopefully it doesn't have a full or modified choke...
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Let us know how you like it!
  4. lrrp75thRngr

lrrp75thRngr Copper BB

I reload for shotgun and rifle. So, every time friends and I go to the NRA show in Harrisburg, Pa. we stop at Cabelas in Hamburg and stock up on components. My stockpile depends on how much ammo I feel like making and how well the fish are biting in Long Island Sound.
  5. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

You win the thread resurrection of the day award. :-D

Myself, I have about 30 flats (10 boxes of 25) of Winchester AA 12g (#7.5 and #8 shot).
    15 or so flats of Remington STS and Nitros (12g, #7.5 and #8).
    Around 10 boxes of AA's in 20g.
    Several boxes of 12g hunting loads (including 20 boxes of 3.5" Hevi-Shot turkey loads, Winchester Long Beards, Hornady #4 and #5 shot, etc.)
    Around 3,000 rounds of 9mm.
    Around 4,000 rounds of .45acp.
    Some .45lc, .410, .38, and .357.
    Around 15,000 rounds of .22lr.
    9 (420rnd) cans of 5.56X45NATO 62gr.
    4 cans of 5.56 55gr.
    Around 2,500 rounds of .308win. (and about the same amount in 7.62X51NATO).
    A few boxes of .243, .270, .30-30, and .338 Lapua.
    And a bunch of personal defense rounds, in various gauges and calibers.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  6. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

8. Toakey

Toakey .22LR

Shooter13 said earlier: If I told you, the ATF would be knockin' on my door...!!

Some pretty impressive numbers above, but I'm sort of in the same camp as Shooter13, especially with the number of guns in my collection. Suffice to say I don't have enough ammo.

I remember when a movie came out years ago about a nuclear war where few survived but those that were left pulled together and started to make a comeback. One of the problems was that ammo was in short supply. One of the main characters was a leader and he was coming home, unarmed, after a community meeting and there were some trespassers on his land. He stopped his truck and got out to tell them they'd have to move along. That they were on private property. The trespassers were sitting around a campfire and one of them replied something derogatory, pulled a gun and shot the home owner dead. The next morning I asked a fellow gun lover what he thought of the movie and he said, "The movie showed me that I don't own enough ammo." I started building my supply then and I've never stopped.

Stay warm and be prepared.
    Rudolph31 and SHOOTER13 like this.
  9. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Maybe it's the wrong way to think, but IMO, if I can't get out of a bad situation with 1,000 rounds of ammo, I'm likely not going to survive it. I'm an air conditioned creampuff compared to a street-hardened survivor and not in the best of health.

Then again, in end times, ammo will be like currency, more the better.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  10. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Staff Member Administrator

I moved these posts here to this new section.
    Cheers!!
  11. Noturus

Noturus .410

I have a thousand rounds of 30/30 loaded with spear points for my T/C 14 inch SS Contender. You can't use spear points in lever actions but with the Contender you can greatly increase your accuracy with pointed projectiles. It's great for IHMSA and deer hunting!
  12. gnappi

gnappi .22LR

I have a sign on the front of my garage that reads...

"Firefighters, don't even THINK about going in there!!! ORM-D in copious amounts stored inside"

Just kidding but at some point or another it could be true :)