What causes this?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, May 17, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Third gun from around this era that has the jacked up stock near the buttplate. I don’t think it’s water damage because the buttokate screws aren’t rusty and it sands right off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Biz

Biz 20g

Did you remove the buttplate and look behind?
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yes sir. Looks perfect
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Probably horn butt plate........ bugs
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Well kills that idea
  6. Ranger6

Maybe what ever was used on the stock back then. Stain
  7. Ranger6

Need to find an old timer that works on wood, bet he would know
  8. Ranger6

Does it sand off?
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The plate is intact though
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yes it would sand right off
  11. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Possibly a dye used on the butt plate and leached off onto the wood?
  12. Biz

Biz 20g

I see only two possibilities. Assuming that the varnish was cracked and perhaps peeling a bit, I would say that mould growth on the wood or the wood was stained by the dirt or the soil from a hunting adventure.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

You might be on to something Bill. Those plates have to have some sort of dye or pigment added to them
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The finish is a little cracked but I thought these should have been finished with oil
  15. Biz

Biz 20g

The oil finish was used only on the first years. What year is your shotgun? Regarding the buttplate, It is the first time I have heard about dying horn??
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

This is my 1939. I have no idea if they dyed them or not but I would think that horn isn’t black throughout
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

After some research I don’t believe the horn plates were dyed
  18. Ranger6

I just looked at one I have that’s broken in half. If they are dyed it’s all the way through. This one has some gouges in it and it’s black in them too
    win7stw likes this.
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Wasn’t going to touch this one but I don’t think I can deal with that
  20. Biz

Biz 20g

Justin, what is your take on that black "stain"?