Very early engraved auto-5, good restoration?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Biz, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Was mustang flight good. There is one that buzzes over my farm taking flights think $1800 for 25min but they get turned inside out from what I see. I just love sound of Merlin under full noise low level
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’d buy it if money wasn’t an issue and hunt with it.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

There was a B17 and a B25 bomber here this summer for a couple weeks. I wanted to go for a ride but it was a little too rich for me
  4. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Been lucky enough to go through a static b17. Grandfather was flight engineer upper turret gunner on one in WW2. Loved his stories as a kid
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

If money wasn’t an issue. I would buy it and have it rust blued and shoot the shit out of it, of course it would have to get inline with the Holland & Holland and Purdey. And since money don’t matter that would be matching pairs in all gauges. I had the pleasure of shooting a cheap Holland & Holland. 75,000 is all, but boy was it sweet.
    murphranch likes this.
  6. Biz

Biz 20g

Do you mean 75000.00$??
  7. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yes sir 75,000 dollars
  8. Biz

Biz 20g

I suppose you must have a caddy with such a shotgun. You don’t want to drop it! I saw a documentary on YouTube about them. Nice shop they have.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Crazy Horse is the only dual cockpit Mustang that I’m aware of. And yeah, it was worth it, once. Also, I took it off my taxes.
  10. Ranger6

Well not really. Long story short, it wasn’t mine. I met a really nice old man many years ago, he owned his own business for 40 years, built it from the ground up, mind you he had more money then god. He was very religious and would give you the shirt off his back. He is the one that got me into skeet shooing, as we would go every weekend. As far as I can remember I never paid for a round as long as he was there, not because I didn’t insist, but because he insisted more. I think he just really liked the company. Well about 10 years later he was diagnosed with cancer and was told he had 1 month to live. So what did he do? He bought 2 things. A road king Harley Davidson and that Holland and Holland. He actually lived an additional 6 years. We spent a lot of time on the bikes and more time on the skeet field. So of course I got to shoot his gun, without asking, he just handed it to me one day and said here shoot this one. I grabbed it like it was an old auto 5 and went to town. Shot a perfect 25 with that damn thing. What a joy. I guess once in a lifetime thing.
  11. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Mustang here must have some form of dual seating or dickie seat as they do adventure flights and simulated dog fights with a radial Yak
  12. Biz

Biz 20g

To bad he didn’t offer the gun to you
  13. Ranger6

yea that would have been awesome, but hey I got to shoot it. If I ever win the lottery I will buy one for sure.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Did he leave anything to you?
  15. Ranger6

Justin no unfortunately he did not. He died pretty quickly, I was still in the military and was on one of my many deployments, didn’t find out till I got back. Had I been here I may have gotten it. He had no kids and no wife, all the family he had was a sister that wasn’t fond of guns.
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

That’s too bad that you couldn’t be at the funeral. It makes me wonder what happens to some guns like that. I’m sure it got sold for pennies on the dollar
  17. Ranger6

Yes I’m sure someone got a great deal. Who knows maybe a pawn shop. I’m sure his sister had no clue what it was worth.
  18. Biz

Biz 20g