Very early engraved auto-5, good restoration?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Biz, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Biz

Biz 20g

2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

My take? It’s a lot of money. The bluing looks terrible if you ask me. It should have been rust blued
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I like the purple Cartridge Stop and Carrier Screw.

I need to go to Art’s soon, I’ll ask about it.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I think I’m having a heart attack. Who put that lemon taste in my mouth when I opened that link. I’m with Justin on the bluing. What a shame and 12 grand.
    win7stw likes this.
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Guess that confirmed the question about rust bluing we had.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. antman73

antman73 .410

Not for me. Having said that I'm sure someone with deep pockets will pull the trigger on it. A bit to shinny and bright for that vintage gun in my opinion.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yeah you would think he’d make a gun like that correct
    Ranger6 likes this.
  8. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Would it be in bad taste to ask if he’s every considered teaming up with a shop Ike Glenrock? He could get them prepped and running perfect, then up to them for the bluing. He third parties out the engraving...
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I don’t think so
  10. Biz

Biz 20g

I find regrettable that a business with such talented people would do that kind of restoration. The restoration itself is remarkable but why not restore it as is was; rust bluing, oil finished, the chance to find a original hard rubber buttplate is almost impossible, but a horn buttplate would be better than a plastic reproduction.
    win7stw likes this.
  11. Ranger6

Anyone called to ask?
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Maybe I’ll call tomorrow. I’ll have some extra time on my hands for the next two weeks......
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I think they think there’s nothing wrong with salt blue. Art likes to get things “factory”. And he worked for Browning in the salt blue era. If it sells, he’s proven right.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

It will sell. Might take some time put it’ll go
  15. Ranger6

Im gonna have to disagree with if it sells, he’s right. Factory means it would be rust blued.
  16. Biz

Biz 20g

And following S&V, the first year the stock was oil finished not varnished like.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I didn’t put it well. Art gets it to look like the factory finish that he was used to. It looks normal to him.

As a business decision, if it sells for that price, you can’t argue that he made a mistake. But, yeah, I wish he’d send the old ones out for rust bluing.
  18. Biz

Biz 20g

I may find is restoration choice regrettable, but it is as mentioned by Rudolph, a business decision that I respect. Obviously I am not is targeted clientele. It will be interesting to see if he knows is market. Will see how quickly it will sell.

If money was not an issue for you "Browning lovers" would you buy that beautiful restored Browning?
  19. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

No, not even if it was properly done. I try not to throw too much money away on frivolous things.

Although I did spend $3000 once for an hour in a P51 Mustang.

https://www.stallion51.com/
  20. Biz

Biz 20g

Was it worth the 3000.00$? Are they a lot of those WWII fighters still in use? I love those war plane, especially the one from the first war