Valmet brass 16 ga

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ranger6, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Anyone know anything about these? I think they are made in Finland. Would like to know what size primer and what kind.

Attached Files:

2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Drill them out for a 209 and be done with it
    Ranger6 likes this.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I have already done one, worked pretty well. Now to come up with a load for it. Need a single shot 16 as a test gun
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  4. Norske

Norske .410

European shells usually need a European primer. It's a metric vs US thing. American primers will fit loosely, often falling out of spent Euro shells.
  5. Ranger6

Would agree with you on plastic shells, however, these are brass and most of them take some sort of riffle/ pistol primer. I drilled one for a 209 Winchester. As soon as my wads get here I will load one and hope for the best.
  6. Ranger6

New toy showed up today.

Attached Files:

7. Ranger6

Decided to try it out on the 16 brass. I tumbled for 3 hours with corn cob media and a little flitz.

Attached Files:

8. Ranger6

Little update on the 16 brass. Loaded one with 17.5 grain of red dot and 1 oz of #9 shot. I placed a 14 gauge nitro card on the powder with 50 lbs of pressure, a 14 gauge fiber wad( should of put another to bring stack height up), then a nitro card under the shot. Then a 14 gauge over shot card glued in with water glass.

Attached Files:

9. Ranger6

Fired the shell today in single barrel stevens. Recoil seemed about the same as a factory black 16 shell. Some things I noticed when I fired, a little bit of confetti, fiber wads, not waxed. Upon inspection of the shell it had a good strike on the primer. Slightly off center to the right. Compared to the factory shell and noted about the same offset, gonna say it’s the stevens. Inspected primer for gas leakage and found nothing. Also noticed about 1/16 up from the rim of the shell there was a slight bulge in the brass. When measured with calipers it was about .010 difference from a non fired shell. I tried the fired shell in my auto 5 and very tight fit. Nice fit in the stevens. I measured the chamber of the stevens and got the same measurements, so I’m guessing it was fire formed to the chamber. The length of the shell changed by .005”. I decided to run it through the CH 4D die and it was a very tight fit, that required good amount of force to resize. The primer had to be pushed out with a little force, which I believe is why there was no gas leakage.The resized shell measured the same as the non fired shell and slipped in the auto5 chamber with ease.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    win7stw likes this.
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Must not go down this rabbit hole
  11. Ranger6

Come on it’s so lonely down here. I can’t be the only one chasing shit.
  12. Ranger6

Well looks like some more brass action this weekend. New tool showed up today.

Attached Files:

13. Ranger6

Ok new tool( shotgun pocket reamer) from pacific tool is not what I had expected. The first shank is to big and drills the pocket to large for win, fed and cheddite 209’s. They just fall out. The second cutting edge is to large and makes the primer set to deep. When the first cutting edge cuts through the primer pocket it leaves a nasty rough edge inside the brass.

Attached Files:

14. Ranger6

One of the other problems encountered was a way to hold the brass while drilling, so my set up is a 1/2 deep socket inside the shell held with a BP hull vise. It’s good and secure at the bottom. The top of the shell jumps around and allows the drill bit to drift. In order to fix this I made a quick jig out of a shell checker. The top is now stable and the drilling is much more accurate.

Attached Files:

15. Ranger6

Luckily I have a buddy that owns a machine shop and he is a shooter also, so when I need something made he usually does it. So this is what we come up with as an alternative method to do the primer pockets and so far it seems to be the best.

Attached Files:

win7stw likes this.
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

82 degree countersink?
    Ranger6 likes this.
  17. Ranger6

Justin you are correct sir.
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

When I load 5.56 brass that has the primer crimp I deprime and use the same countersink to remove the crimp
    Ranger6 likes this.
  19. Ranger6

update on primer pocket tool: called pacific tool and was told that some custom reamers were made and the one I received was one of them. They offered to make me one for what ever primer I want if I return the other, they requested a spent primer with tool, so they could get measurements.
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Nice. I have heard that their customer service isn’t good. Hopefully they make it right