Tips & Hints for assembling a BLR -not a gunsmith

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by Rahn H, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Rahn H

Rahn H .22LR

NEVER TRUST THE INTERNET WITH YOUR LIFE OR PERSONAL SAFETY

Disclaimer: I'm not a gunsmith. I don't assemble BLR's for money.

Disclaimer: DO NOT DISASSEMBLE YOUR BLR

Disclaimer: This is only meant to assist someone who felt overconfident in their ability.

Disclaimer: A Browning service center quoted me $260 to "fix" my BLR.

Disclaimer: DO NOT DISASSEMBLE ANY BLR.

Disclaimer: Never believe what you read on the internet.

Note: This post will be a work in progress, any questions or suggestions are welcome.
  2. Rahn H

Rahn H .22LR

If you own a BLR, I recommend doing the following asap:
    [​IMG]

1. Note the amount of free play in the bolt carrier, with the hammer cocked. If you have play try to measure it.
    [​IMG]

2. Measure the gap between the lever and stock.
    [​IMG]

3. Using grease or a tire crayon, get an idea of the depth the detent sits on the Hammer pin.
    [​IMG]

4. Photograph these things if you can. At the very least write these things down and keep it with the Owner's Manual where it tells you DO NOT DISASSEMBLE THIS GUN.

HAVING THE STARTING POINTS DOCUMENTED MAKES ASSEMBLY MUCH SIMPLER AND POSSIBLE TO DUPLICATE.
    Even if you don't plan on tearing into it, take these measurements. Maybe you have a grandchild that would use the old gun and as a form of gratitude decides to break it down and clean it.
  3. Rahn H

Rahn H .22LR

You can pay $4 for this ten page manual that covers lever timing in 2 boxes. Honestly I found it kind of vague. It is also written and photographed with the original BLR, with the perpendicular lugs. Not that it's completely different, just incomplete or adding to doubts in your mind.

http://www.gundigest.com/online-gunsmit ... s-download

DO NOT DISASSEMBLE ANY BLR.

I AM NOT QUALIFIED TO TELL YOU HOW TO DO THIS PROCEDURE.

This thread has some specifics, and the main contributor is a gunsmith.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/gu ... lr-254130/
  4. Rahn H

Rahn H .22LR

So, you've foolishly ignored every warning and have disassembled your Browning BLR?

[​IMG]

TO ATTEMPT TO TIME IT:

1. Assemble everything as it was, EXCEPT FOR the Lever Pin. The timing is only controlled by the Lever "Rack" or flat gear.
    2. Have the Lever Pin in the receiver only, not protruding into the receiver.
    3. Set the actual Lever & Trigger aside and forget about it.

4. Using a screwdriver or good wiggling, GET THE DETENT on the lever rack UNDER THE HAMMER PIN (like it would be when locked closed)

[​IMG]
  5. Rahn H

Rahn H .22LR

5. Find a way to hold the bolt carrier firmly in the closed mode. It will want to spring back out.
    a. Keep the Gear Wheel in full tightness holding the carrier tight.

6. Keeping the detent on the hammer pin, slide the LEVER RACK up and get the hole lined up for the Lever Pin.

7. Insert the pin through the LEVER RACK and far side of the receiver.

8. RELEASE your tension on the bolt carrier and/or gear wheel.
    a. Did it stay tight OR feels like it did before?
    1. Move to step 9

b. Did it pop back too far?
    1. Repeat the process

9. You've got a good fit but the Lever & Trigger aren't in the gun.

10. Using a flat bladed screwdriver, get a firm position on one of the lugs on the bolt carrier and push the carrier back.
  6. Rahn H

Rahn H .22LR

Now your action is open, but missing a lever.

11. Carefully slide the Lever Pin out UNTIL it's flush with the LEVER RACK. This space allows the lever to go back in.

You've noticed the spring loaded bumper on the LEVER RACK before? Examine it closely, it's your last hurdle.

12. Put the lever in place. It's time to battle the spring loaded bumper. You have to pull the lever towards the butt pad while pushing the lever into the LEVER RACK.
    SLIDE THE PIN through the Lever & Trigger now.

13. Check the fit & function throughout again.

DON'T EVER DISASSEMBLE A BROWNING BLR, ATTEMPTING REASSEMBLY OF A BLR IS NEXT TO HOPELESS.
  7. Rahn H

Rahn H .22LR

NEVER DISASSEMBLE A BLR

NEVER BELIEVE WHAT YOU READ ON THE INTERNET.

A couple "rules of thumb" from a source who may or may not have experience doing this.

1. Lever closed, hammer cocked- Hammer should fall without modifying the trigger or sear.

2. Bolt Carrier play- No more than a few thousandths of forward movement OR NONE. If the hammer falls without detonating the primer, the bolt carrier is absorbing the energy of the hammer.