Time Between Production Runs?

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by Gormy, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Gormy

Gormy Copper BB

Hey everyone,

New to the forum but I've been shooting a Browning X-Bolt 270 for years. I've deer hunted with a shotgun and 30-30 Marlin for years, but as I sit on a tree line overlooking a field with 200+ yards of vision, I want something that I can count on for further shots. My wife bought a 270 X-Bolt years ago and I've loved shooting it. Accurate as hell - I can put 3 shots in a half dollar size pattern at 200 yards, and this year I plan to try further out. I bought a better scope for the one I will buy.

That brings me to my problem, and question. I'm a cheap dude, so I was waiting until I had enough points on my Cabela's card (like Bass Pro shop if you don't live near me, actually owned by them now) and other gift cards to where I can get a rifle for free. I called in February to check the price of the X-Bolt Medallion in 270. Back then it was available, no problem. Now that I have enough to not have to pay anything for the rile, I stopped in to order it (not stocked, it's a special order here) only to find out that Browning has a short production run of their rilfes and this model is sold out everywhere. Bass Pro Shops also didn't have any. The guy behind the counter called Browning, and they told him they already had their production run earlier this year and they didn't know when they would be making more.

My question is, does anyone know how long between runs? To me this is insane (although I get it, they can't produce all their models continuously), but the fact that they're sold out everywhere means there's interest and they are losing money by not making them. I builid my own rounds so I planned on spending a lot of time this summer building and shooting until I found the perfect round. Now I don't know if I will even be able to buy a rifle before deer season in November. Do they normally have a few runs a year? One a year?

Thanks for any feedback!
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
    David Johnson likes this.
  2. I checked Cabelas inventory now. Three models of X Bolts you look at are the Whitegold Medalion but it is only in two Magnum calibers. It is more money also. The Hells Canyon Speed Rifle is a great rifje and available at Cabelas in a lot of calibers. Myself I like .243 or 6.5, but they also have .308. Also they have the Stainless Stalker, Not a Medalion though. I assume you were looking for a walnut stocked Medalion. I have one in Maple and it is incredibly accurate. It was also a great Buy! Right now I am looking at the Pro X Bolt. The Medalion is one of Browning best rifles. But it will be third quarter before any more get sent, and when Cabelas get theirs is insider info. I sure would take this up with Cabelas. You should also call Browning in Morgan, Utah!
  3. Gormy

Gormy Copper BB

Hi David,

Thanks for the response. Cabela's inventory is pretty poor when it come to wood stock rifles of any brand, but terrible for Browning. I thought that was a unique problem for them, but from looking around at other stores it seems everything is going towards composite stock. Composite stocks have their benefits, but they're just not for me. None of my rifles and shotgun are, or ever will be, composite. It seems it's getting tougher to find wood.

The White GOld Mediallion is a nice looking gun, but I don't feel like spending the extra $500, and I don't want a stainless barrel for deer hunting. I'm not interested in a magum caliber either, as I personally love the .270 round and it does what I need it to. I've spent a good amount of time building the perfect rounds for my wife's 270, and I'd like to keep going with that same design on my next rifle.

I've definitely narrowed it down to wanting the Medallion. To me it's a beautiful piece of equipment, and based off my expierence Browning 270s, I'm sure it will be dead accurate out of the box. I'll wait for what I want, and I'm not the type to settle for something similar to save a few months.

How do you know it will be third quarter? Do you have experience knowing when they produce their X-Bolts? I reached out to Browning and haven't gotten a response. The guy at Cabela's called them and they said they do not have info on when they will produce/ship more. To your comment about taking it up with Cabela's - this guy has been pretty helpful. This is not a model they stock, and he called his supplier for special orders and checked Bass Pro Shops, as they can now ship between the two stores, and they're completely out too. So your info of third quarter is the only thing I've heard, and that's more than I got from the store or Browning.

Thanks!
  4. It will not work for Cabela’s to call except they know if they have an established order in. I own fourteen Winchester and Browning Rifles. Why? Because the quality is so well in relation to the price. Also everyone I have got is accurate! My interest is hunting rifles, not competition bench rest. But I do own two rifle ranges at my two farms. Here’s is what I have learned. Calling Morgan Utah to to the Browning Winchester customer service line and ask for the eta on the Medalion. They will provide that data to you. At about anytime I have money down on orders, usually Shot Show Special’s. As to wood versus synthetic stocks, I have owned and shot about all of them. My position in the US Army also allowed me to see what was out there and to get in touch with people with similar interests. I vastly prefer woood stocks. Check out Chuck Hawk’s assessment on synthetic versus wood. I regard synthetic as pretty ugly often but once in awhile one strikes me as usuable. Laminated stocks have been rated tougher, stronger, and shoot better, also are heavier.

It is very important that when you ask what shipping from the Miroku plant schedule what caliber you want. I assume .270. A very good caliber which will do almost everything. The calibers come through in waves. There is not one single rifle that I would rate any better for the dollar and performance than the Medalion XBolt. As to Stainless barrel and action, I doubt that wildlife is very influenced by that. So much depends are where you are. Sometimes Black stands out like a sore thumb. SS hold up well and most of the comeptition barrels are SS. But the blued X Bolt on the Medalion are frankly extremely functional, attractive and tougher than we are. Just dry it off and put some oil on it. I supply material for a lot of wood gun stocks. Birchwood Casey makes a Gunstock Wax that a bottle of will last you a lifetime. Rem Oil is also pretty good and is a very thin silicone spray, all of those a little goes a long, long ways.
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
  5. I do know that Kittery Trading Post in Kittery Maine has one in stock when I bought my last rifje there a week ago and it is still in stock at $919. Having bought many rifles from them if they have it, you know it’s a great Rifle. Of course you’ll wait till Cabela’s gets it in, just saying!
  6. The Browning X Bolt .270 Winchester in the Medalion wood stocked Model has been upgraded to now be available in July. Question is where Cabela’s stacks up in that wave of X Bolts. That is the latest product availability data. Because I have to track a few limited availability items it was a simple matter for me to check on this. But you can ask the same question and right now that is the answer. One X Bolt that I have yet to own is the Hells Canyon Speed Rifle and that is one of two synthetic stocks I could deal with on the X Bolt. The Camo stock and the Cerakote treatment on the fluted barrel and the muzzle break makes for a real stealth hunting rifle. That rifle won a lot of awards when it came out and everyone I know of in all calibers shot incredibly well. For me to like a synthetic stock is amazing. But it is a great rifle.