This one is going to test me

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Apr 3, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

This forearm is off one of my short chambered guns. I have a replacement but I have to see if it can be “repaired” and how long the repair will last.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Kind sir: I have repaired a couple of forearms with very similar issues. As strange as it sounds, regarding the longer crack, decades ago I had an OLD gunsmith tell as long as there hasn't been a bunch of oil/lube/etc. down in the crack itself it could be fixed with relative ease. He suggested soaking the forearm in real hot water for an hour--after cleaning as much gunk off beforehand. Then sliding a piece of metal rod (or pipe/tubing) into the forearm where the crack is --in this particular case on the receiver end of the forearm., making sure the piece of rod is pretty darn close to the diameter inside. Then wrap it tight, in order to close the crack upon the rod. Let it dry for a couple of days before removing the wrapping (he said a plain old piece of rope tightened up like a tourniquet). Then after determining it is absolutely dry, very ( with a capitol V) open the crack up ever so carefully and get a ample amount of GOOD wood glue into the crack. Making certain you can see the glue squeeze out when you close it back up with the rope, tighten things back up and wait another day or two. He did point out Elmers glue is NOT considered GOOD wood glue. I used TITEBOND and was very impressed!!! Good internet reviews, and easy to find.
    I have down this method three times, and never had any problems with a failure afterwards.
    win7stw likes this.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Bill, thanks for the great idea. This has been soaking in acetone for a month. Every day I heat it up until oil comes out then back into a 5 gallon bucket of acetone. Today it came out of my warmer oil free. I like Titebond 3 for woodworking so I will give that a try. I plan on repairing one crack at a time.
  4. Biz

Biz 20g

Bill this is a very clever approach. I will try it. However, I will use polyurethane glue instead of P.V.A. glue. We use a lot of polyurethane glue and PVA glue at my shop. In this situation I would prefer the polyurethane because it is more forgiving. Polyurethane is water proof, it works on oily wood like teak, it will work even (if not better) if the wood has résiduel moisture and it will remain "flexible" when dry.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’ve used heavy duty ty-wraps as a clamp for forearm repair. I wonder if that will work las good as the tourniquet.
  6. Biz

Biz 20g

I find the rubber tube tourniquet is very good for that purpose and it doesn’t damage the wood.
    2C96C057-FC96-48BD-833A-2FE10356F19C.jpeg
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Where can I buy that tubing at? My hardware stores don’t have any
  8. Biz

Biz 20g

I bought it from a big box store similar to Home Depot. But I assume that medical suppliers must have it. They were use as well for slingshot.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Good call I will buy a cheap slingshot.
  10. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I am looking forward to see how this one turns out. Although it wasn't mine, I do know a fellow A5 fan that glued a forearm back together that had actually cracked almost in half....and when he tried to open up the crack to squeeze the glue in, he literally broke it in two! (Perhaps a little aggresive in his application of force, ya' think?!) Anyway, he went ahead and glued it, and that was ten years and cases of ammo ago.

Just sayin'.........
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I just finished gluing together a train wreck that I got off eBay. It was cracked almost in two. It was a short chambered forearm that I’m guessing somebody had the friction ring set up wrong. Looks like the barrel was went forward way too far. I had to epoxy in a spacer because the wood was gone.
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well Bill your idea worked great to close up the big crack. I just glued that crack and will leave it clamped until tomorrow. I used mule tape for my tourniquets. Tomorrow night I will glue the other long crack.
    antman73 likes this.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Second crack is glued up and clamped. Hopefully tomorrow night I can get to the last one.
  14. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

You gonna post some pics when it’s all glued up?
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yes sir. I am pretty sure you will be able to see the glue lines though
  16. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

hey it’s a shooter right? Just battle scares that add history. The shape that it was in to begin with it’s amazing that you have come this far. I would have trashed it a long time ago, way outside my skill set.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yup just a shooter. This is the perfect time to get some of these projects finished up. The only reason I didn’t trash it is short chambered forearms are hard to come by.
  18. Ranger6

Yes sir, I have one that the inside is beat up, hopefully will be getting a 3D spacer from one of the other members. I did get one from art that got me up and running. This locating the barrel with the forearm is just mind blowing to me.
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I am the member that’s supposed to be getting you a spacer. They are made but i don’t know when I’ll see the guy that made them.
  20. Ranger6

Yes sir, wondered if you would catch that. No worries , just messing with you a little. Made me laugh. Thanks, that made my day. Hope all is well in your world.
    win7stw likes this.