The purpose of the 3" magnum auto-5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Biz, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Ok just looked through my load data and yes you can use imr blue like blue dot. Use blue dot data. Guess I should have spared you all that and looked through my data first. Apologies sir.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    win7stw likes this.
  2. Biz

Biz 20g

Steel shot in 3” shell. As I mentioned, 1-1/2 load at 1450 velocity would be nice
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

What hull, wad are you using? How many grains are you using in the 1 1/4 load? Can you fit another 1/4 in your current load?
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  4. Biz

Biz 20g

Cheddite is the most available here. I believe I can fit another 1/4 load. I am still running on my last year production. I do not remember I many grain I used and the wad were Federal 12s?. I will have to check tomorrow at my shop. BTW my prefer shell, if it was available in 3”, would be paper shell.

I forgot, I shot BB or number 2
  5. Ranger6

Agree paper is way cool. If your pressure isn’t at Saami spec, you should be able to add 1/4 oz of shot and be fine. I would load up a couple and warm the a5 up. If you shoot her enough, she will let you know. The only other thing I would do is start with maybe 1 or .5 grain less powder and see how it goes. You can always work up to what your doing in the 1 1/4
  6. Ranger6

I have been checking BP every day for the return of paper hulls, so far, no go. I have to get some to load so I can brag to Justin.