Superposed Rough Estimated Value

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by alecanimal45, Dec 26, 2019.

1. alecanimal45

alecanimal45 Copper BB

I have my grandfathers 1956 superposed lightning I believe. Serial number is a very early 48044. Grandfather shot it a lot for skeet shooting but was very anal and always kept his guns in the best shape possible. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe that the wooding on this gun is the factory wooding on superposed guns. Not sure what this does to the value. IMG_7206.jpg IMG_7206.jpg IMG_7207.jpg IMG_7209.jpg IMG_7212.jpg IMG_7219.jpg IMG_7220.jpg IMG_7224.jpg IMG_7227.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  2. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

That sure looks like 60-70s era Fajen wood to me.
  3. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

48044 by itself would indicate 1956.

What you have is Superposed with Broadway ribbed barrels - the rib is 5/8" or 15mm wide - first introduced in 1960.

So, the next time sequential number 48066 would appear is late 1965. So, your 48066 should be followed by S5.

You are correct - that is Neither factory wood type nor configuration - but I have seen several guns with this same style stock - and the trigger guard is usually modified more often than not. Generally, if the trigger guard doesn't come to a point, then it's been modified. This, and the non-original wood diminishes the gun's value from a 'purists' standpoint. In addition, Broadway ribbed guns do not command a very good price either, particularly in 32".
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  4. alecanimal45

alecanimal45 Copper BB

I knew it was a customized gun. My grandfather was an avid skeet shooter and won many trophies over the years. Thanks for clearing up some things for me.

5. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Being your Grandfather’s gun and with your good memories of him and his shooting accomplishments with this gun, it is likely no one will value it more than you. The modifications reflect a unique style and character, and were enhancements that brought him joy and, apparently, success.

Thanks for sharing his gun with us - glad we could help. I know of 2 1950’s Gr V Superposed that have very similar wood details.

Out of curiosity, what is the barrel length? I’ve seen 26.5”, 28”, 30” and 32” from this period - although 26.5” would be more common for Skeet. 28” BW bbls are relatively anomalous but some were special ordered by Alex Kerr (Kerr’s Sporting Goods - Beverly Hills). 30” & 32” are more common for Trap but some found favor on the Skeet field with more open chokes - in later trends.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Anatidae,

I know little about the Superposed, but one thing I hear a lot about is the Broadway Rib. Everyone says that it lessens the value, but no one explains its original purpose or why it never became popular.

Hope you had a great Christmas!

Rudy
  7. alecanimal45

alecanimal45 Copper BB

Anatidae

It is a 28 inch barrel.

8. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Thanks, Alec - 28" BW's are not very common (from that period).

Rudy - I think the BW rib was really popular in the early 60's. I grew-up in that era. I also get the impression BW's popularity was greater (and for a longer period of time) in Europe. Even today, there are a lot of BW sales abroad and a lot of those are 27.5" guns built in the 70's.

Some of the present-day 725 models have a 12mm rib fashioned like the 3-textured BW sighting plane.

So, my comment about value is 'stigma' based on a relatively 'limited' buyer's pool for Broadway-ribbed guns in the US. It just takes longer for a buyer and seller (for an honest gun at a reasonable value) to meet. Personally, I shoot BW's well. I had 3 at one time.....a 32" and two 30" Trap guns.

The Broadway rib's marketing claimed: (from an FN 'Special Trap' models catalog)

"After tests as extensive as they have been, varied - over a period of more than two years - we can affirm that these models (FN Special Trap No 2 and No 3) carry a definite promise of better scores."

Due to:
    1) The exceptional line of sight (created by a straight-cut center section and lateral/diagonal-cut sections on each side) brings the eye rapidly and effortlessly on to the target. (I can attest this is true)
    2) The slightest tilting of the barrels is immediately noticed and corrected. (I believe this was the biggest factor - keeping the gun level)
    3) As for the No 3 model (81cm or 32") its line of sight is longer than usual - further improves control of the gun with the minimum amount of effort.
    4) the patented system of ventilation trebles the cooling are by which the heat from the barrels is dispersed - without the least heat shimmer distortion between shooter's eye and target in hot, cold, or damp weather during rapid firing events. (It is annoying to try to visually acquire a target through a mirage)

No 1 Trap was 30" 8mm rib (standard narrow rib)
    No 2 Trap was 30" 16mm rib
    No 3 Trap was 32" 16mm rib

in addition, the following Special Skeet models were offered in BW ribs:

Model 103 - 26.5" 16mm rib
    Model 104 - 28" 16mm rib

Around 1970, FN started fitting some of their guns with 27.5" (70cm) barrels with Broadway ribs (16mm).

I think the claims of the BW rib in the 60's is more realistic and honest than - "our Midas choke tubes are designed specifically for clay targets." ……..Wait...….what?:doh:

Well, None of us is as dumb as all of us. - [Centcom quote]
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Thank you , my friend. I think if I ever buy a Super, it’ll have a Broadway Rib. Kind of like a Poly Choke — a useful feature that lowers the price. It’s win-win.