Superposed Excessive Recoil

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by Busterbrowning, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Busterbrowning

Busterbrowning Copper BB

Hello,
    This is the first time I have posted on this website so here we go.
    The Superpose in the UK are called B25's followed by A1/ B2 /B2g /C grade etc.
    My latest purchase is B2 which was a little loose in the action and off the face by 0.005" measured with a feeler gauge when the action was closed.
    I have a 12 gauge B2g lightweight game and an A1 Trap gun , both have nowhere near the amount of felt recoil of the latest purchase.
    I thought the excessive recoil could be a result of the wear on the action so the gun was sent to a gunsmith who tightened up the action by work on the locking block.
    The gun came back and to be fair there was no gap on the face and the locking lever is slightly to the right when locked up.
    The gun still has excessive recoil, I have tried a slip on recoil pad with no noted improvement in recoil reduction.
    I use 1 oz. cartridges approx. 1400 fps for shooting clays, I shot 100 clays 5 days ago and I'm still aching .
    I've tried the Gordon system cartridges and they are still painful.
    The gun fits well with 14 3/8" LOP as is the other guns I have.
    So today I have compared the headspace with the other two browning's the results are as follows:-
    The B2 G game gun and the A1 trap gun have less than 0.002" gap to the barrel face with a snap cap that I have used which has a shoulder thickness of 0.055".
    The gun in question has a gap of 0.008" from the barrel face to the snap cap face when measured with a straight edge and feeler gauge, so it's obvious the cartridge recess is too deep.
    The recoil that I'm getting is like an electric shock if felt on the barrel (off the fore end ) and the whole barrel seems to resonate resulting in headaches a very sore shoulder.
    As I stated earlier the gun has been fitted with an adjustable comb and is a good fit.
    Has anyone else experienced similar recoil problems with a Superposed ?
    Regards Busterbrowning
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome...!!

Enjoy our community...
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017