stovepiping

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by Mike in the North, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Mike in the North

Mike in the North Copper BB

After reviewing previous posts on this subject I had a look at the 2 magazines that came with my .380. The sides of the magazine were straight right up to the top. There was really nothing to stop the billets from flipping up when the slide went back. And they did. Regularly. Magazines for all of my other guns are curved inwards at the top.
    I bent the tops inward ever so slightly, and today fired 50 rounds without any problems.
    I can't help but ask: Is this just really bad production control, or is there something about this pistol design that makes it unlike my other guns?
  2. Drewz21

Drewz21 .22LR

Hey Mike, I have 8 of the 1911-380 factory mags that I use in my 2 different FS 1911-380's. I've not seen that issue with any of mine from a physical inspection of the magazine or shooting with them. Hate to hear you have/had an issue though.
    I've not yet seen where anyone is making third-party magazines so it sounds like some bad ones may have gone out from Browning.
    Sportsman's Warehouse always seems to have some of the magazines in stock at a decent price.
  3. Mike in the North

Thanks for the feedback. I did email Browning, but I never received a reply.
    Much as I like the pistol, I doubt I would ever buy another Browning.
    Have you replaced any of the plastic parts, and if you have, do you have a source?
  4. Drewz21

Drewz21 .22LR

I've found both of mine to be rock solid reliable. I posted some pics in another thread of getting them both Cerakoted and I like how they turned out. The only part I replaced on one of mine, and that is in another thread as well, is a stainless steel full length guide rod. I have a link to it in that thread.

Hope you get things sorted out and get to enjoy this fine gun!
  5. Mike in the North

I'll see if I can get the guide rod shipped to Canada. I DO enjoy shooting it, now that it actually works....
  6. Mike in the North

I just received 2 new clips. They are turned inwards at the rear of the clip, but the front sides are straight, as were my original ones. I'll see how they shoot in a couple of weeks....
  7. Drewz21

Drewz21 .22LR

Hope things go well!
  8. Mike in the North

Thanks. Well, either the front sides need to be turned in - or they don't. Since I know I can do it myself, I'm not worried either way. I confess it seems odd to have the rounds held into the clip by such a small portion of the magazine. My gut tells me that it is either poor quality control or a bad design. I THINK that the friction of the bolt moving back puts enough energy into the next round's rim to raise the nose. I'll report on what I find.