Stock project

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Mar 14, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Bought this disaster off eBay for $50. Forearm had three cracks and the butt stock was cracked through the wrist internally. Plus two other cracks on the top of the stock. I am thinking the owner must have smoked because there are quite a few small burn marks in the forearm as well. I have four coats of oil on the stock and one on the forearm. Looks ok considering what I started with.
    [​IMG]
  2. Biz

Biz 20g

Nice, did you take pics before restoration
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Unfortunately I did not. I wanted to make it darker like the older guns but the stock wouldn’t take stain or dye. I guess I’m going to learn to like the color
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Not so bad. Has nice grain. Looks like A+ job to me
    win7stw likes this.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks Ranger. I’ve got a few more to do. Will post some pics of those as well
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Very nice.
    win7stw likes this.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Next project. This one could be interesting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14 coats of hand rubbed oil. I need to recut the checkering still and I am going to knock down the sheen with some rottenstone. I wish it was a little darker. I used Watco dark walnut danish oil for the first coat so it wasn’t as blonde. Starting the next one in a few minutes
  9. Biz

Biz 20g

Nice job! Which cutter are you going to use for the checkering?
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks. I ordered the single line cutters from woodcarvers supply. I messed around with it a little last night. The 60 degree cutter is nice for the first pass and the 75 degree cutter seems about right to me. They do plug up pretty fast
  11. Biz

Biz 20g

I was wondering if they worked better then the Dem-Bart? Apparently not.
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Think I need to strip this and use the French Red. Talk me into or out of it please