Stock Marking

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by Augustb, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Augustb

Augustb Copper BB

Does anybody have an idea on what this marking might be on the bottom of the round knob? The stock is on my 1960 28 gauge Superposed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

That looks like maybe a T and something else. Maybe someone's initials. Never seen anything like that before. FYI you can upload pictures straight to the site. You don't need to use any web hosting site. It's much easier.
  3. Augustb

Augustb Copper BB

I was thinking initials as well. I couldn't figure out the system for getting the pictures on the website. When I hit the photo icon to insert photos it asked for a URL. Please clue me in.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Ok when you go to reply, you should see a button that says Upload file (right hand corner). When you hit that button, a box should come up and it says choose file. Hit that button and if on a desktop it will take you to different folder options, then you have to find where you put the picture. If on a phone and you hit choose file, it should open up a box that says photo library or take photo (you will also see choose file). On your phone just snap picture or find in your library. Choose the correct photo and select it. You will see it appear in a small box that says thumbnail. Then just click post, you're done. Sounds complicated, but once you do it, you will see how easy. If you run into problems, call me and I can walk you through it. I sent you a PM . Check your inbox
  5. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

My understanding is: the marks are factory inspectors’ marks.

sometimes when original wood has been refinished, the owner will ask the wood finisher to duplicate these marks so it will seem as if it is the original finish - and advertise it as such.

I am not advanced enough in knowledge and experience to be able to tell the difference in original and ‘duplicated’ inspector’s marks behind the round knob. My biggest clue is the finish and checkering, itself. If the checkering border has lacquer in it and is obviously darker than the other checkering, then it has been ‘fully got-at’ - not ‘restored to original condition’.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  6. Ranger6

Man don't get me to tell lies either. It's hard to tell if one has been refinished if it has been done correctly. I've never seen one marked like that, I will keep an eye out on the next one and see if it is the same.
  7. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

August,

You’re welcome.

This reminds me never to respond to anyone who doesn’t have a history - notably, whether they would appreciate others’ time and interest, and would give the simple courtesy of acknowledgment, or not.

your most recent visit was Friday @ 7:55 pm.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  8. Ranger6

Don’t get to upset sir, as long as we are trying to help, we have done our part, should he visit again great. I like to learn as much as possible, so I appreciate your replies.
    Anatidae likes this.
  9. Augustb

Augustb Copper BB

Sorry you feel that way. We have been chasing three grandsons ages 7 months to 8 years old since Wednesday and they will go home tomorrow. Way more important to me than any Browning Superposed or response to a question.

Thanks for your answer though. Not many of these 1960 28 gauge guns floating around and just trying to learn more about it.
  10. Ranger6

I think we sometimes forget that life gets in the way.