Stock fit

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Jan 11, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

So I have a couple of 16’s that the stocks were cut pretty short. I bought a stock from a 20 gauge that was made in 1963. I had to remove just a little bit of wood from the tang area to get it to fit on my 1928. However the wood around the tang and receiver is proud. The knob is considerably larger than my other 16s. With that said the oldest 16 I have was built in 1949. Is the fit on the later guns not as nice? The wood from the 63 fits how the Japanese stocks fit. I may have to find a stock maker that can trim it down a bit and checker it. Also have another stock and forearm coming that I scored off eBay. Hopefully that one fits better.
  2. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I have pieced together various 12 gauge A5s with wood from donors. USUALLY the wood fits really good. Even at that, the worst match up I did required about 10 minutes with some carving tools and files. It ended up looking fine and dandy.
    I have not tried to fit Japanese wood to Belgian guns (I don't collect Japanese guns to begin with) but according to a video from Art's, it can be done with very little gnashing of the teeth.
    I have made a few A5 butt stocks from scratch, and even though they look intimidating at first, they are not bad at all. I am reading here and there the fit on Japanese guns was somewhat lacking compared to Belgian guns.

When it comes to 16/20s---my ignorance is showing. Was it the top or bottom tang that gave you grief?
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

It looks okay. It didn’t take much to make it fit but it doesn’t look as nice as the early guns. The bottom tang is the one that doesn’t look right. I’ll do a side by side picture tonight
  4. Biz

Biz 20g

My experience with donors, it is better to stay with the same era and gauge (supposedly, 16 and 20 gauge are interchangeable). I was fortune with the help of my friend in France in Belgique to find very nice 12 gauge stock. From top to bottom, to two first one are from the 80’s the other two are pre-first world war.
    1DCF4D40-4F35-4D6C-A363-EF7F44F3A330.jpeg
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

1945 with original stock
    [​IMG]

1928 with 1963 stock
    [​IMG]

1949 with Japanese stock
    [​IMG]

The three side by side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Notice how far past the the wood is on the sides of the receiver. Also how the knob is bigger on the late stocks. In Arts video about fitting Japanese wood to a Belgium gun he shows that the early guns have a thinner tang. So he glued in a shim so the bottom tang is flush with the stock. I may have to mess with that a little.

The fit and finish on the old guns amazes me the more I get into the A5 world.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’d love to see pictures of the bottom stock when you are done with it
  7. Biz

Biz 20g

Those pics are great, they really show the challenge ahead. I am amazed by the quality of the inlay of the stock of the very early Browning.
  8. Biz

Biz 20g

I am agonizing over which of my pre-WWI Browning I should use for these stocks
  9. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Keep us (well..... me) posted.
  10. Biz

Biz 20g

Bill is right, keep us posted it will help for our own project.
  11. Biz

Biz 20g

Bill, I started to make my own stock from walnut I imported from Europe and frankly it is very difficult. You must be very talented. I find the inleting very challenging.
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

It would be an easy choice for me. The bottom stock for the win
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I will probably have somebody do the work for me. I’m not sure I have the patience for that work. Also I’d never be able to do the checkering
  14. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Strange, as carving out a complete A5 butt stock doesn't intimidate me in the very least.

Checkering however.........whole different thing to me. Scares me.
    Strange, huh?
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Do you have any pictures of the stocks you have made? Want to build a couple for me?
  16. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I will once again try to figure out how to post pictures. As I have mentioned several times, posting pictures and me are not on speaking terms. And not on just this website.
    And as far as making one for someone else....I guess I never considered that. I'll have to ponder that idea.