Sticky bolt

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Lead ball, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Lead ball

Lead ball .22LR

I am looking at a Auto 5 but the bolt is very sticky and the inside looks very dusty I think all it needs is a good cleaning I don't have the special screwdrivers so about how much would it cost to have a gunsmith go through
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Probably a couple hundred dollars. You can buy the screw drivers from brownells, they are cheap and you will use them over and over. Well worth the money if you own an A5. There are plenty of videos on the web that shows how to disassemble. It’s really not that hard. You will need the correct screwdrivers or you will burger up the screws.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

4. Lead ball

Lead ball .22LR

Okay I get it if your going to own a Auto 5 that's a shooter not a collector then you better know how to work on them yourself I will defanantly educate myself thanks for your replies
  5. kumpe

kumpe .410

You can make your own screwdrivers for your Auto-5, no need to buy them. I made a few myself, just take a metal file and grind a cheap flat-head to fit the screws. Takes literally five minutes. I've never had any problems with slipping or damaging screws.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

In Art’s first video he spends the first half of it showing how to make the screwdrivers. He heat treats them so they’re not brittle. If I lived at the North Pole like you do, I’d probably make my own also. But here it’s easier to order from Brownell's.
    kumpe likes this.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I think you should be able to replace springs and other small parts, and you’ll need the screwdrivers for that. But Art’s can ensure your gun is in top shape and do the detail strip and clean, but it’ll cost $80/hr. Definitely worth it if your gun is acting up, and it shouldn’t need it again in your lifetime. I’ve used Art’s a bunch of times for things I couldn’t do. Here he is fixing my Light Twelve:
    [​IMG]
  8. kumpe

kumpe .410

Brownells is available here at the north pole as well, believe it or not. :)
    I was just saying that you don't need to buy special tools to take apart an Auto-5. If you plan to do it often, it might still be a good idea though.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Sure, but how long does it take the dog sled to get there?

Your shortcut to making the screwdrivers makes sense. It takes Art a half hour just to describe the process, with a lot of heating and drawing back, looking for just the right color. I’m sure his screwdrivers resist chipping, but I don’t have the patience.