Steel Loads For Clays

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Auzzie, May 25, 2021.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Green dot and that wad is not a good combination. Blue dot or maybe Longshot would be a better choice, out of the dot powders. You said you have 8's? Thought you were loading steel?
    If you had he PT 1253 about 21-22 grains of green dot would get you started. The problem with steel shot is it takes up more room the lead, so a typical 7/8 oz steel #7 will take up as much room as 1 1/8 oz lead #8. I don't think the csd wad is gonna hold 7/8oz of steel.
    Not sure what load data you have from BP, but typically pressure will decrease when you reduce payload and keep everything else the same. Normally you want a higher velocity to push a lighter pay load. This is not true in every situation. You may not find any load data, and then you will have to make your own. I done this very thing with the fiocchi 27 wad and 7/8oz #8 in the euro trash thread. Its a good load, that patterns well, but it will take a lot of work.
    In my childhood years making loads with my grandfather, I was the trigger guy. He would strap an old shotgun to a tire, run a string back behind a fresh split wood pile and then tell me to yank the string when he was ready. Not sure what the go/no go was, as I was to young to care, I just liked the loud boom. I know the shotgun never blew up but there were times he would be cussing up a storm which always meant we would be doing it again after some changes. Those were the best days, cause I got to pull the string more.
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
  2. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

I made a typo my buddy got steel 7s for our project. Was all we could get. We did a pellet count and weigh up inside a wad and can get full 13/16 steel into shot cup where it’s totally protected. That should do the trick as a skeet load and what I use shotwise anyway. just have more balls.
    I saw on S W somebody using 20 grains green dot same wad . We are going to send Tom Roster from podcasts an email for bit of guidance make sure we are on right track and safe. The real solution will be getting pt 1253 long term if this works.
    He lived in Auzz for a while doing research so be familiar with what powders etc we have here. And yes I have done same trick as your grandad to divise some 410 loads on Vitavourhi powder. Great minds think alike.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

auzzie: ok that makes sense. I thought it was a typo, but wanted to make sure. Typically 20 grains of green dot in a straight wall hull would be ok. Just don't know much about the csd wad. I called 3 places for the fiocchi 27 wad and 7/8oz and no one had anything. I would look at the fit of the wad in the hull, some of the blue dot loads required a gas seal also. Please post some pictures of the load in the hull(stack height). Hopefully you all can pattern it also.
  4. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

I will keep you posted. Thanks for your help to get this far. Yes we will do some patterning at various distances to see what we come up with. Bit of luck will
  5. Ranger6

Auzzie: I see BP has the PT1253 in stock. I’m gonna order some and put together a load with steel 7 and some green dot, so we can compare loads. Not sure if I can send you some or not. Looks like you guys have a big do not send list, but did not see plastic on there.
  6. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Think wads would be ok. My shooting buddy has got wads direct from BP before in US and sent here no problem. Think they just re bagged labelled as plastic wadding. I will check with him this afternoon. But heck yeah if you willing to help us out we would be in that and reimburse any $$$
  7. Ranger6

Auzzie: got a call from BP today, the wads I ordered (PT1253) they are out of. They have more on order, but no telling when they will arrive. I will keep you posted. They are 2 weeks behind on shipping. I have a flat of 1896 papers suppose to be here today. I ordered them first of May.
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hey Ranger that’s no problem at all. Whenever is fine. Thanks again I am sure it will be an interesting experiment.Will give me time to make up a few props and portable pattern setup for distance work . My shooting buddy is like minded dead keen reloader as well so should be good joint project. Were both curious after listening to that 3 part podcasts series I told you of.
  9. Ranger6

Yes sir, I visited my local reloading supply store yesterday. I looked for some steel wads and some steel shot, but nothing. They had 1 bag of #9, almost no powder and no primers. They had a good selection of lead wads. They are suppose to get a shipment at end of month.
  10. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Ranger Just reporting buddy and I loaded our first steel trial rounds last night to see if everything looked ok. After assessing endless Eurotrash hulls in the barn etc and checking base wad heights with verniers that gave good stack settled on a cheddite straight wall (falcon v6 gold hull) starting with 19grains green dot and csd078 wad. We did 4 neat 90 deg slits with box cutter. Got 23.5 grams payload in (13/16 oz) steels . Crimp is dished in little but certainly satisfactory. An extra 1/2 to 1 grain of powder when working up to velocity and 20 grains will be perfect. We are using a noblesport 686 primer , a 209 substitute which is mid range. I will put up some images later.
    The objective will be to come up with a suitable patterning load especially tailored for those longer distance fitac sporting clay shots at 50 yds + crossers without the ridiculous velocity and recoil
    Winter school holidays coming up soon so will get my kid hand skilled up onto making a Winston chrono bench and rig for testing. Hopefully we get a portable design bench bit better than playing cards and toothpicks that doesn’t collapse first shot.
  11. Ranger6

Good deal sir, I think you picked a good starting point. The pattern will tell the story. Yep sure can’t wait to see pictures. Hopefully you got some of that steel shot level in that hull/wad. Is the shot fully inside the wad? With lead shot being above the wad is no big deal, don’t seem to have a big effect on pattern. Normally with set back of the shot when fired, the front row of shot will not rub the barrel and not deform the shot. Not sure what happens with steel. I have heard of guys scratching their barrels( not rated for steel) shooting steel.
  12. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Yep shot level perfect totally encapsulated. We are going to shove up my buddies Beretta a400 multi target for a start. We checked barrel is steel rated and proofed and so are chokes. I am not a spaghetti gun beretta fan so I tell him who cares if we machine a spline in his overpriced over rated barrel. Be different if it were a browning.
    Regardless we still want those P T 1253”s when you get your hands on them but certainly no hurry.
  13. Ranger6

Good deal, I'm not really a Beretta fan either, but I must say the silver pigeon is very nice in 28ga. But in a repeater I want a Browning. I haven't found anything that beats an Auto 5 yet.

More on that steel load and the wad. I know you started with four slits, as I probably would have too. I was wondering about the 50yard plus shot? What do you think two slits, or no slits would do for distance and pattern? Would it be a tighter pattern or maybe spread out more? Might be something worth checking out!
    I have seen some patterns done with slit and unslit wads. There is a post over on trapshooters web site with pictures of pattern results. I have also read that some think its a waste of time to slit wads. So far, I haven't seen any real proof either way. Some believe that if you don't slit you will get a slug effect, but the pictures on trapshooter site show just the opposite results. I haven't been able to find anything out to 40 yards plus.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021