Special steel double sprinted

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by murphranch, Feb 25, 2020.

1. murphranch

murphranch .410

The gap that is about 3 coils down? That is a area on the stiff spring. It has another spot like that about half way down. Reckon I should just order 2 new springs since not knowing what all previous owner had tried?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

The springs should all have the same gap, like your picture at the bottom of mag tube
  3. murphranch

murphranch .410

It cycles with the weaker spring fine. It's all I can do to get the stout spring almost to lock bolt back.

4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Well that’s a good idea to replace all the major spring. The new mag spring will be one. If you wanna shoot light loads don’t order mag spring. If you could push the barrel down before, then the springs are not put together correctly or they went hay wire when removed
  5. murphranch

murphranch .410

Coiled them off and on the gun. Alternated ends so every possibility was covered. No difference.

6. Ranger6

I mean it will be harder to do with both springs but you still should be able to lock the bolt back
  7. murphranch

murphranch .410

Do you know if there should be such a difference in the 2 springs?

8. murphranch

murphranch .410

Couldn't get done.

9. Ranger6

They should not have that gap at the top. I would replace the spring. Do you have lube on the tube?
  10. Ranger6

It’s been a long time since I have done the two springs. Let me look at my old ones. Give me a few
  11. murphranch

murphranch .410

I'm going to order new springs and bronze friction rings and start over with new. Thank you Ranger6 for taking the time this evening to help me out. I'll touch back with you after new parts arrive and let you know the outcome. Once again I thank you and appreciate your knowledge.

12. murphranch

murphranch .410

Ok. If you gotta put on you pants and jog across the driveway to the shop in your house slippers it can wait.

13. Ranger6

I may have chunked them cause they were worn out. All I can find is a new one
  14. Ranger6

Gun room is in the house. I have about 13 A5s so lots of parts. Be careful where you order your parts from. And like I said new mag spring will be a single spring
  15. murphranch

murphranch .410

Any suggestions on a good site to order from?

16. Ranger6

And it looks like the spring on the left is messed up.
  17. Ranger6

Midwest gun works if they have them
  18. murphranch

murphranch .410

Thanks. Good evening.

19. Ranger6

They have them in stock 19.00 for spring. Very welcome. Keep me posted. Make sure to stick around. Sometimes it’s a little slow, but several of us regulars check in daily.
  20. Ranger6

Do yourself a favor and get an action spring also. That’s the one behind the receiver, you will have to remove the stock. But it absorbs that barrel flying back into your shoulder and is very import for the cycling to take place. I never seen a bad friction ring. Unless they are broken on the edges and are sharp to the touch with your finger going across the ribs inside they should be good. I have never seen a bad steel ring( goes around large friction piece) until I started having problems with my old 16 this week. It was so stretched out it wasn’t compressing the brass friction piece enough. Took me down a rabbit hole for several days.
    Anyway if you have issues give me a shout. Like to see those old A5’s back in service. Also use 30 weight oil on tube. A lot of oils have Teflon in them and it will be sticky and stop the friction rings from doing their job and you will have cycling issues
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020