Special steel double sprinted

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by murphranch, Feb 25, 2020.

1. murphranch

murphranch .410

I picked up a really nice A-5 Special Steel Magnum for a great price. When I asked the man selling it he told me it would not cycle after being fired. Anyway for the price he was asking-$275-I took it. Would’ve been a fool not to I thought. After getting it home I dissembled it and found it to have 2 recoil springs threaded together on it. Why? What for? Is there supposed to be 2? Would appreciate any info. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hi,

I am not an expert on Magnums, but I have read that early examples had the two springs as you describe. Getting them to run target ammo is something not everyone is successful with either. I suspect that’s what the previous owner was trying to shoot.

The diagram shows the correct friction setup for 2 3/4” and 3” shells. But think of the 2 3/4” as High Brass, not target ammo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    murphranch likes this.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Correct two springs was the normal on the old guns with original springs. If you want to shoot target loads, set it up like a light 12 and it will fire target loads. Mine will fire 1 oz loads all day long. If you forget and shoot magnum loads set that way, you will be in for a surprise.
    And yes you have to use a light 12 spring also.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    murphranch and Rudolph31 like this.
  4. murphranch

murphranch .410

Thank you guys. Appreciate the help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

If you use a light 12 spring set it up for heavy loads and see if it will cycle. If not then go to light loads. If this is your first auto 5 it will take you awhile to figure out what the recoil should/shouldn’t be. If it’s to harsh then either it’s set up wrong or weak springs, and in the worst case to much lube on magazine tube. A lot of people say that they kick like a mule. Not true if set up correctly. And you can’t always go by the ammo. Even if it says it’s a light load. ( read my post on rst shells).
    win7stw likes this.
  6. murphranch

murphranch .410

I've been around and shot the old Belgium humpbacks for about 40 years. My grandpa lived along the North Platte and lived for hunting ducks, Canadians and his Chesapeake dogs. First shotgun I ever shot was one of his A5 12 gauges. I was 11 years old and was scared as hell but was surprised it didn't kick that hard. Been shooting the humpbacks ever since. Tried the A-5G for awhile but it was to fickle for my maintenance program and I went back to shooting the older A5 guns that I have collected over the years.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
  7. murphranch

murphranch .410

After cleaning and reassembling gun for magnum loads with the 2 springs it's so tight I cant even hand push the barrel back an inch.

8. Ranger6

You got something wrong
  9. Ranger6

How far did you take it apart?
  10. murphranch

murphranch .410

Took one of the springs out and left it set up for 3 magnum. I can cycle it from the barrel by hand but barely. I might note that I'm 6'3" and weigh 250lbs..

11. Ranger6

Yea something is wrong. Pull it back apart
  12. Ranger6

What do you mean you took one of the springs out?
  13. murphranch

murphranch .410

Just forearm and barrel. After inspecting the springs one of them is tremendously stouter than the other. I can barely compress it between my hands, while the other is maybe 1/3 as stout.

14. murphranch

murphranch .410

It had the 2 recoil springs when I took it apart.[​IMG]

15. Ranger6

Well if it has two springs, one goes inside of the other. Does the spring move freely on the tube with just the spring. No barrel or friction pieces?
  16. murphranch

murphranch .410

Spring on the right is rock hard with no give at all. Left one is softer.[​IMG]

17. Ranger6

Yes that’s the old mag set up. What’s the gap at the top? That’s not right.
  18. murphranch

murphranch .410

No sir. The stouter spring won't let it.

19. Ranger6

Put one spring on and see if it slides. Then try the other.
  20. Ranger6

Those springs have to be coiled together. If they don’t coil just right it will bind. Try coiling them off the gun and try both ends