Sent my 1911 22 back to the Mothership

Discussion in 'Browning 1911-22 Handgun' started by 1MOA, Dec 7, 2014.

1. 1MOA

1MOA Copper BB

Since I purchased the gun about a month ago I've put 520 rounds through it without a flaw. My little 1911 22 shoots great mechanically but went from a very accurate pistol to trash.

The third time I took it to the range I started having trouble getting on target. I noticed the rear plastic sight had slid to the right quite a bit. I grasped the sight with my finger tips and moved it more to the center and started shooting. The accuracy improved but the sight moved again. Later, I called Browning about the loose sight and they told me to peen the top of the dove tail and it should be fine. I was very reluctant to try preening as it looked as if it's been already peened at the factory and anyway I'm a gun "shooter" not a gun "smith."

I took it to the range a couple more times until I got fed up with the problem. I called Browning about the problem and the Customer Service Tech told me to mail it to them (my expense) and they will check it out. If they determine it is their problem they'll fix it and pay to ship it back. If not, they'll contact me with an estimate for the repair and return shipping expenses.

I sent it to them Fedex Overnight (expensive but my decision) and by the next evening I received an email informing me that they received the pistol and that I can keep checking online to see if and when they take a look at it.

Just wanted to let you know the process if you have the same problem.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thanks for the writeup...sorry to hear about your problem with the sights.

Sounds like the process is working...I would stress patience, as it sounds like you're expecting it to be rushed back...which is understandable, but not so realistic.

Turn around time could be as little as a few days or as much as a few weeks.

Keep us in the loop...
  3. 1MOA

1MOA Copper BB

Not really expecting it back quickly because in the email they sent acknowledging the gun's arrival, they had a lengthy disclaimer claiming that because of "hunting and shooting" season they have lots of repairs and they have no idea when they'll return the pistol.

I'm disappointed for the gun's "rear sight" failure and the probable service delay but I still love the gun.

Fortunately, I have other guns and they are functioning well.
  4. 1MOA

1MOA Copper BB

To Update My Progress:,

Browning sent me an email for tracking the service work on my pistol (neat concept). The email includes a password that must be used to gain access to my gun's service activity (updated daily @ 4AM).

The email also includes the gun's arrival date and the expected completion date plus a shipping disclaimer that reads "Upon completion it will take another 3 to 5 days shipping."

So let me see, they got the gun on December 4th and expect to ship December 29 (which is too close to a holiday for that to happen) and with the shipping time added to it, we'll be well into January before I get it back.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Sounds about right...
  6. 1MOA

1MOA Copper BB

Wow, a pleasant surprise! The pistol showed up at my door this afternoon, weeks ahead of the estimated scheduled return.

The rear sight seems repaired and very solid and with no additional charges.

Thanks Browning, you guys rock. Glad to have my little pistol back.
  7. owrstrich

owrstrich Copper BB

thanks for the intel... i put 600 more mm 36gr cphp into the 6" center of 9" paper plates from 20 feet today... all double taps... shoulda grabbed some photos butts it was cold and the wind was coming straight at me... the goal was 1000 rounds... butts couldnt hang with the wind any longer...

had a few flyers... im trying to getts 10 in the center... reload... then 11 in the center... with attention on deploy level off and blast without using the sights...

generally go with the mm 36ge cphp till the last few mags... those are loaded for defensive carry... alternate mini mag 40gr cprn and velocitor 40gr cphp... 21 to win... 2 mags of 10 and 1 in the pipe... 21 to win... ha ha ha...

anyway its 100% accurate when bench rested with the oem sights... gotts several thousands rounds through this thing now... not a single ammo or weapon issue at this point...

j o
  8. 1MOA

1MOA Copper BB

The new sights are just great and hats off to Browning for a fast turn-around and quality work.

I am so impressed with this pistol. So far it continues to handle every round without any failures...and I'm using bulk ammo. What really impresses me is it is more reliable than my high class Kimber dedicated Target 1911-22 pistol because the Kimber only likes certain brands of ammo. My Browning 1911-22 is more of a "blue collar" worker because it doesn't care what brands of ammo it's fed...it shoots.

Good job Browning.
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Glad everything worked out for you...!!