Selling with mag safety removed

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by Rgrigutis, Jul 26, 2022.

1. Rgrigutis

Rgrigutis Copper BB

What’s recommended when selling a hi power with mag safety removed? I suspect the best option is reinstalling it. Just wondering if a disclaimer would be valid legally. As always,thanks in advance, rick
  2. Soundguy

Soundguy .410

Just include that detail in the notes. Include the parts if you have them.
    Most buyers will appreciate that it was removed, as long as you didn't ding it up!

If anyone tells you the removal of this archaic device puts you in legal jeopardy, they are wholly mistaken.
    You will notice that the Springfield SA-35 does not have n MDS.
    No aftermarket triggers have an MDS.

Cheers,

Tim
  3. Rgrigutis

Rgrigutis Copper BB

Thanks man. Ive got two springer 1911’s that i removed the msh (key lock) and replaced with colt msh (no lock) and have always wondered if ,god forbid, i had an otherwise righteous shooting i could be liable for altering the gun. Not really applicable to bhp mag release safety just rambling on Tuesday night
    Soundguy likes this.
  4. MikeMarkCA

MikeMarkCA .22LR

I’m probably going to get flamed for this, but what is the objection to the magazine safety, doesn’t it make sense?
    I know a guy who was in Vietnam, he earned a Silver Star and two Bronze Stars, then became a police officer for 30 years. Upon retiring, had an accidental discharge while cleaning his Baretta. Thankfully he had the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, but I figure if that guy can do it…
  5. Soundguy

Soundguy .410

It inhibits good smooth function of the trigger.

While it might make sense in some limited situations, removing it is the first step to a better trigger, short of polishing the face of the disconnect and the front of each magazine. Doing either of those things reduces the gritty feeling in the trigger as the disconnect engages the magazine. Removing it reduces the weight of the trigger pull.

I find any High Power to be more pleasant to shoot without the disconnect. Removing it is the first thing I do to alter the pistol. On nearly all of mine I replace the entire trigger assembly with a BHSS Advanced Trigger Sub-Assembly, or the C&S Wide Combat Trigger before BHSS developed theirs. Neither has a provision for the disconnect. Nor did most of the BHPs made during the Occupation... a different story.

Fortunately your guy did not suffer from his accidental discharge. Perhaps a Magazine Disconnect would have prevented it. Being more careful and insuring the pistol was cleared absolutely would have prevented it.

Ultimately, the best safety device, and the only one you can rely on, is the user.

Cheers,

Tim
  6. MikeMarkCA

MikeMarkCA .22LR

Thank you for that reply. I’m new to the world of Hi-Power but know what you are talking about. I felt that gritty feeling in the trigger, and thought it was in need of a cleaning, had no idea the safety disconnect was the cause.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  7. Soundguy

Soundguy .410

Welcome to the High Power world!

Allow me introduce you to two High Power resources:

Stephen A Camp literally wrote the book on High Powers. He passed away in 2011 and left behind "The Shooters Guide to the Browning High Power" and "The High Power Disassembly Guide" which is laminated and suitable for your gun bench. I keep these both as a reference... both are rather inexpensive and a must have for any High Power enthusiast. His widow sells them to this day. Much of the contents of the book are at this link...

BH Spring Solutions, BHSS, is a growing company in central Indiana. They are High Power enthusiasts and have produced tons of very good video content re all aspects of the High Power, in all of its variations. They have literally open sourced BHP info while designing and providing new parts, innovative upgrades and the highest quality springs. If you need something for your pistol they will have it. If you have a question... they will answer it for you.

Which High Power do you have?

Cheers,

Tim
  8. MikeMarkCA

MikeMarkCA .22LR

Thank you, book is already on the way!!

http://browningowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/help-with-dating.11405/
  9. Soundguy

Soundguy .410

Nice pistol!
    I hope you enjoy the book.

A great T-series and C-series are on my list of acquisitions, but a pre-T external extractor pistol from 1962 - 1964 is at the top of my list.

Here is a group photo of some of mine...

Bottom Left to Right:
    1950 classic internal extractor; 2002 MKlll (my first); 1981 Alloy Frame with an FM (Argentina) Detective Slide (for concealed carry); On top is a 75C Alloy Frame that came with a 1981 slide. This one was refinished by BHSS and is waiting for a Detective Slide.

All of them feature SFS, new grips, the BHSS Trigger and some other BHSS upgrades. All of the upgrades are reversible. The BHSS triggers were added after the picture was taken. You can see the mark I made while removing the trigger assembly pin in my first one, the MKlll. All 4 are cocked and locked as pictured... a feature of SFS.

Cheers,

Tim

New Alloy with Friends.jpg
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  10. MikeMarkCA

MikeMarkCA .22LR

You forget the picture??
  11. Soundguy

Soundguy .410

I sure did... it's there now!
  12. MikeMarkCA

MikeMarkCA .22LR

Does anyone make a ambie safety in gloss?
    Seems all I see are matte finishes.

I take it you’re a fellow lefty?
  13. Soundguy

Soundguy .410

I am right handed but I enjoy the ambi-safety that comes with SFS.
    I have not seen an ambi safety in a high gloss finish. The SFS is a bit glossier than matte. I think it works aesthetically with my blued and epoxy/cerakote pistols.

BHSS does have a gold plated version of SFS as well as a SS color... and the blued like color I have. I imagine they could refinish parts in a high gloss, for a price. Here is a link to their SFS page. Click on one of the SFS kits for a full description. Here is the link for the Essential Version.

My first two High Powers came with SFS factory installed. I wanted it and searched a bit to find one. Then I found another. I have installed it into ten more High Powers because it makes sense to me, especially for a pistol I carry. While some BHP users do not like it, refering to it as a solution in search of a problem, I think of it as a logical and elegant improvement to traditional cocked and locked. Had John Browning come up with it in the early 1900s, traditional cocked and locked would have been abandoned.

The extended slide stop it comes with can be purchased separately and allows for simpler disassembly. SFS allows for hammer forward cocked and locked... no more hammer to snag on a jacket or dig into your flesh. Read the link... if you have questions, let me know. I am a fan! If I ever explore the 1911 platform, this is the first improvement I would make. I dearly wish it was available for my Sig P238.

Cheers,

Tim
  14. MikeMarkCA

MikeMarkCA .22LR

Appreciate you taking the time, I’ll give that post a study.