SA-22 Serial Number Question???

Discussion in 'Browning Semi-Auto 22 Rifle' started by huskerbob, Jul 13, 2019.

1. huskerbob

huskerbob .22LR

I posted this months ago but it didn't draw any responses. Thought I'd give it another try.

"I purchased a Browning SA-22 at a gun show this past weekend. Based on the S/N, the gun was built in Belgium around 1959.

Something odd however. I wasn't aware the S/N was stamped in the front of the receiver until I was doing a little additional research on line. I only saw the S/N on the rear of the stock on the ring surrounding the magazine tube. In comparing the two numbers I found the S/N on the receiver is 1,060 lower than the number by the mag tube. The numbers contained in the S/N would seem to rule out human error in stamping the gun, ie: 59 stamped as 95, etc.

Even with the difference, both numbers would still seem to indicate a 1959 build date.

According to the dealer I purchased it from, and I trust him completely, he bought the gun from the original owner who purchased it new in 1962,

Any theories on why the numbers would be different??? [​IMG]"
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’d guess the stocks were changed at the factory for some reason.
  3. huskerbob

huskerbob .22LR

except both numbers appear on the "stock piece" of the gun, one on the butt and the other stamped on the face of the receiver. there are no numbers on the "barrel piece" of the gun.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, I’m confused. Maybe if you posted some pictures I’d see what you mean.
  5. huskerbob

huskerbob .22LR

As you know, the gun "breaks" into two pieces. The separation point is between the receiver and the barrel. For simplicity I'll call them the "barrel piece" (bottom piece in photo) and the "stock/receiver piece" (top piece in photo).

[​IMG]

Both S/N's I mentioned appear on the "stock/receiver piece". One number on the butt of the "stock/receiver piece" and the other is stamped on the front of the receiver where it connects to the "barrel piece". There are no numbers on the "barrel piece".

You may be correct and for some reason a "new, wood stock" was connected to the metal receiver at the factory or later as a repair. Why or when it was done will remain one of life's unanswered mysteries I guess...........

PS: I posted an old photo of the gun because I currently don't have access to the safe in which the gun "lives" so I can't show photos of the actual S/N's
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Now I get it. I really don’t know much about the SA-22, but am familiar with FN serialization of the Auto-5. On that gun they quit stamping the serial number on barrels in 1953. I’d be surprised if this gun is different.

The wood may have been switched at the factory or even the dealership. Imagine a customer liked the wood on a gun that had some blemish on the metal.

There’s not a whole lot of information readily available about this rifle, particularly concerning serial numbers. Since you’ve done the research, you may consider posting what you’ve found to make it easier for those who follow.