Rust ?

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by Glenn pitts, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Glenn pitts

Glenn pitts .22LR

I have a 1971 Hi-Power that is showing a reddish color along the inside of the curvature of the grip.
    It cannot be 'felt' and it is slightly reddish.
    Can anyone suggest a product that I can try to remove this reddish coloring?
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome Glenn...

It may be the "start" of rust forming....

Have you tried to wipe it off with a product like Break Free CLP ?

( Clean, Lubricate, Protect )...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2017
  3. Glenn pitts

Glenn pitts .22LR

Thanks for your comment.
    I have only used Break Free CLP on the Hi-Power, and today put a heavy coat on the problem area.
    I think I will let it sit overnight and perhaps it may help.

As for storing it, I keep it wrapped in a silicone cloth and in a Bore Store sock.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

On a side note...How do you store it !?

If it's in a clamshell case with foam inserts...that's asking for trouble.

It's like storing it with two sponges...that wick the moisture from the air and hold it against the gun.
  5. Glenn pitts

Glenn pitts .22LR

As for storing it, I keep it wrapped in a silicone cloth and in a Bore Store sock.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Well...I guess that worked from 1971 till now.

How about a picture or two...?
  7. Glenn pitts

Glenn pitts .22LR

Yes, I will do that in a couple of days but it is currently dismantled right now.
    I haven't had the grips off for some time, and I noticed the reddish color when I removed them today.
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Sounds like you may need a "new" sock and or silicone cloth...

Plus...depending on where you stick it to keep it safe...maybe a new place to keep it from the Texas humidity is in order.
    Glenn pitts likes this.
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

If you got rust...then the "reason" should also be identified.

You can treat the rust now...but if the cause is not identified...it will eventually return.
  10. Leland Craig

Leland Craig .22LR

Glenn:

Do you have a grinder or buffer? Get one of these and chuck it into one side. It is the best tool I know for cleaning up any type of metal. It won't take off the bluing, but WILL clean up flash rust and gunky dirt. Wipe off all the loose dirt and whatever you can get off with your cleaning cloth. Spray the piece with a little oil and let the magic brush do the work. It will even brush out minor scratches without creating more.

Carding Wheel
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I have a Dremel Tool with attachments that worked pretty well...
  12. Glenn pitts

Glenn pitts .22LR

I'm not so good with a dremel. Tried to polish a spot on the chrome kitchen sink and took it down quickly to copper.
    The 'rust' on the gun cannot be felt. What I have is a reddish coloring and mostly on the inside of the grip so it is hard to get to. Oddly, you have to turn the gun to just the right angle to see it. I don't want it re-blued because the outside looks good. Wonder if I could send it to the Browning factory and if they could do something? I'm not experienced with doing this sort of thing.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  13. Leland Craig

Leland Craig .22LR

You could use elbow grease. Get some Rem Oil or whatever gun oil you have. Wet a pad of 0000 steel wool with the oil. Not drippy. Spray a light coat onto the flash rust. gently but deliberately rub the red area with the oily steel wool. The rust should come right off without scratching the bluing. But remember, don't it like sand paper. You are not trying to get down to white metal so rub the oiled area with moderate pressure. Make sure it is oiled, to ensure the blued areas are not scratched.

This is the handle of my hi power. It has a roll mark. This area is susceptible to hand sweat and grit which will rust. Oily steel wool is your friend.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    Glenn pitts likes this.
  14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

"I'm not so good with a dremel. Tried to polish a spot on the chrome kitchen sink and took it down quickly to copper."

I just spit beer all over the deck...that's funny !! :D
  15. Glenn pitts

Glenn pitts .22LR

Thanks Leland,
    I tried the oil and a tiny piece of 0000 steel wool. Then using cotton swabs, I see the red coming off onto the cotton swab.
    I'm working inside the grip and it's hard to get the bulky steel wool into all of the tight places.
    Some places of course easier than others inside there.
    I wrapped a small piece around a cotton swabs and that helps somewhat.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  16. Leland Craig

Leland Craig .22LR

Glenn:

A piece of 0000 steel wool
    Wrapped around an old toothbrush is also helpful.
    Glenn pitts likes this.
  17. Glenn pitts

Glenn pitts .22LR

Leland, Thanks, I forgot about toothpicks. The cotton swab is too big for some places.
  18. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I also use dental picks for real tight crevices...find them at gun shows
    Glenn pitts likes this.